Admin Rights required to run VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Taoski

Admin Rights required to run VirtualBox

Post by Taoski »

I understand that I will need to either "Run as administrator" or install using a local admin account to get a proper install of VirtualBox.

However, if I temporarily elevate a user to have local admin rights, install and create a VM for them to use using that account and then take away their admin rights (to just a standard user again) will this allow them to still run VirtualBox and the VM ok?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Admin Rights required to run VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

Taoski wrote:if I temporarily elevate a user to have local admin rights, install and create a VM
Do not do that. If you change (elevate) your account, then the VM will be created in the context of the elevated account, not the user.

You just need admin rights to do the installation. After that, you should always run VirtualBox as a normal user, the user that creates and has access to the VMs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Taoski

Re: Admin Rights required to run VirtualBox

Post by Taoski »

Thanks for your quick response.