[Solved] Running VirtualBox under a new Win 7 user

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
aardvark_65

[Solved] Running VirtualBox under a new Win 7 user

Post by aardvark_65 »

I am running VirtualBox version 5.2.8 on Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. I set it up, created a virtual machine and have been running it under the Windows 7 Administrator user, since I am the only user of my PC.

Now, for various reasons, I need to run VirtualBox under a new user, and I am finding it difficult to work out how to do that. When I started the VirtualBox manager under the new user, it said I had didn’t have any virtual machines set up, which was somewhat disconcerting…. I found that the “default machine folder” in Preferences, general was now wrong, so I fixed that, ended the VirtualBox manager and restarted it, but it still said I didn’t have any virtual machines.

I looked on the forum, and found posts about people wanting to share the VM between different users, or wanting to move all the VMs to a different PC. I don’t want to do any of that – all I want to do is start using VirtualBox under the new user, and not use it under the Administrator user any more.

Is there a way to do that without having to redefine the VM and set it all up again?

Tim
Last edited by socratis on 18. Apr 2018, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Running VirtualBox under a new Win 7 user

Post by socratis »

The idea is the same as the "Moving a VM" one. Except in your case you won't be moving the VM between computers, but between user accounts, with the new location being the new user's data folder.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aardvark_65

Post by aardvark_65 »

In fact I didn't want to move the VM to a different folder. I don't create files (VirtualBox or otherwise) in the data folders belonging to individual users. But the key for me in the "Moving a VM" post was the Machine, add menu item. I ran that while logged in as the new user, and I can now see my VM.

Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find a description of machine, add in the user manual.

Thanks for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you have the VM in a Shared Folder where the users have read-write access, then that would absolutely work as well.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.