Virtualbox :application error breakpoint has reached

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Lean_geek

Virtualbox :application error breakpoint has reached

Post by Lean_geek »

I have a problem with virtualbox on wimdows host win7 intel Atom (no vt-x ).When I boot with from media running msdos 8.0 (win me ) I get an error like an

Code: Select all

exception breakpoint at 0x007000 ,click ok to terminate the application.
No problem with any other guest.
Pardon me but vmware boots them readily.
Edit: sometimes another msg appears :the instruction at 0x075790 reffered memory at 0x000c70 the memory cannot be written.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox :application error breakpoint has reached

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

VMWare is a separate application. What works or not in VMWare is not very relevant to what works or not in VirtualBox. In any case, was this on the same host hardware, host OS, with the same AV running?
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

mpack wrote:
VMWare is a separate application. What works or not in VMWare is not very relevant to what works or not in VirtualBox. In any case, was this on the same host hardware, host OS, with the same AV running?
Same host same config.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Log file.
The vmdk is created in vmware.
Same case for bootdisks downloaded from net.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Another thing, I checked that MsDOS 8 runs properly in vb 4.2 or lower. I tested it on another machine. But upgrading to 4.3 and 5.2.8(latest) the error occures.
Should I roll back? I don't like it ,as 4.2 is no better in other ways.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Which audio chipset is configured for the guest? Does the guest boot up if audio is disabled in the VM settings?
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

i
Last edited by Lean_geek on 17. Apr 2018, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Default setting . ICH AC97 audio chipset.
mpack wrote: Does the guest boot up if audio is disabled in the VM settings?
No
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You could try it with SoundBlaster audio, but if disabling audio altogether doesn't help, then SoundBlaster probably won't help either.

As I understand it, this VM is not created in VirtualBox, it started as a VMware VM - is that correct? I can only assume that something about the VMWare based image is incompatible with VirtualBox. (Does VMWare have guest tools for WinDOS?). People have installed WinME in the past and AFAIK didn't have this problem.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

No , I myself tried to boot from installation media and boot disk ¬ same problem.

All media ran properly in vb 4.2 in same host.

I think it's a binary tramslation type error, in which incorrect instruction occures. It's probably due to semi 32 bit nature of winme, for which msdos 8 has never been separated. It is certainly a bug.

Can you suggest some hacks or registry or patch or something such ?

Edit : Pardon me ,I do know winDos is not officially supported in vb.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Lean_geek wrote:It's probably due to semi 32 bit nature of winme, for which msdos 8 has never been separated. It is certainly a bug.
Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean by that. All versions of WinDOS from Win95 on were hybrid 16-32bit, I'm not aware of anything substantial that changed in WinME.

Looking back at your log, there are several things of concern that we should probably try to address. First of all the host only has 1GB total RAM, 282MB free, which is very small by modern expectations. 128MB RAM to the VM should be ok, though I might cut that to 64MB anyway, as that should be plenty for WinME. I've never seen graphics RAM as low as 8MB before. I would increase this to 24MB.

Then you have VT-x/AMD-v enabled on a CPU that doesn't support it. This is known to cause crashes. To turn it off you need to run the command :-

"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" modifyvm "win me updated" --hwvirtex off
In the long run however I'm afraid you are swimming against the tide. Many virtualization tasks are made much easier by VT-x, which is available in 99.9% of PCs made in the last 8 years. Expecting the devs to give much thought to running a guest such as WinME on one of those 0.01% of PCs is a bit unrealistic.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

mpack wrote:
Lean_geek wrote:It's probably due to semi 32 bit nature of winme, for which msdos 8 has never been separated
Win me is bridged to protected mode Dos ,not normal dos extender. It also used true 32 bit drivers .
It is impossible to boot in real mode dos unlike 95 or 98.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

mpack wrote: Then you have VT-x/AMD-v enabled on a CPU that doesn't support it. This is known to cause crashes. To turn it off you need to run the command :-

"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" modifyvm "win me updated" --hwvirtex off
No good happened
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Win98 used true 32bit drivers, i.e. WDM .sys files the same as Win2K and XP used. It may be correct that more of the .vxd legacy from Win95 had been excised from the OS by the time of WinME.

"No good happened" doesn't tell me much. Does the log show HMEnabled now 0? If that's the case then I believe we've reached the end, unless you want to try a safe mode boot of guest, let it load drivers one a time to see when it fails.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Safe mode !When I click start and vm starts just vbox logo appears, then a cursor (not blinking ) at left corner and the error messege appears.