Virtualbox :application error breakpoint has reached

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Lean_geek

Re: Virtualbox :application error breakpoint has reached

Post by Lean_geek »

Now a strange thing happened ! :shock:
Eventually I found a vmdk of winME previously created in vmware some about 1 yr ago.When
I booted from it in vbox :!: the winME startup screen !
Due to incompatible virtual devices, it stuck on a blank desktop bafkground image, but no error.After porting the good old vm from vmware to vbox and troubleshooting driver prob.s ,cmdninst etc, it runs as fine as other legesy winDos.I donot know how it happened.When again I booteed from bootdisk etc, same error back, but that vm continues running.(Though GA not suported).
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

So pls explain based on following points :
  • 1 winMe bootdisks (boot floppy, install cd and vmware made hd )causing error on vbox 5
    2 They run good in vbox 4.2 or vmware etc
    3 The strange vmdk of this very os runs in vbox 5
    4 problem with no other windows guest
Additionally Dos 6.22 doesn't recognise its disk partition.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Lean_geek wrote:winMe bootdisks (boot floppy, install cd and vmware made hd )causing error on vbox 5
Dodgy installation media, issues with other software on the host, etc. etc. etc.
Lean_geek wrote:problem with no other windows guest
Different guest, different kernel, different drivers, different results.
Lean_geek wrote:Additionally Dos 6.22 doesn't recognise its disk partition.
One might suppose that WinMe is installed on a FAT32 partition that MS-DOS 6.22 couldn't read.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Andy ,last two things may be true (I know to be) :D but
Dodgy installation media, issues with other software on the host, etc. etc. etc
I cannot agree. The same media boot in vbox 4.2 and vmware . :evil:
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I have no more to add other than to say that my Windows Me iso that I created from my old MSDN CD installs without any problems under 5.2.8 on my Windows 10 (1709) host and under 5.2.10 on macOS 10.13.4 - but then I didn't expect anything any different!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Just like the strange vmdk I mentioned above.
I think there are different types of mbr, basic ones like floppy emulated are causing problem . I don't know much about these things but I will examine it.

However I am posting a small floppy image, pls check if it works or not and notify me.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Lean_geek wrote:I think there are different types of mbr, basic ones like floppy emulated are causing problem.
Floppies have a boot sector, but not a full MBR. You don't partition floppies.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

mpack wrote: Floppies have a boot sector, but not a full MBR. You don't partition floppies.
All x86 os boot media emulates floppy at first. And older dos mbr's were closer to floppy.

It's not the issue , I wanted to say different codes in mbr.
Also true boot medua x86 floppy causes error.

Have you tried the image ?
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

Lean_geek wrote:All x86 os boot media emulates floppy at first. And older dos mbr's were closer to floppy.
This is so off the mark in terms of accuracy I'm not even going to bother deconstructing it to correct it.
Lean_geek wrote:Have you tried the image ?
You will be very lucky if you find anyone around here that is willing to download a random disk image, the origins of which they don't know, and tries booting it, even in a vm.

-Andy.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

As Andy said, most people will be unwilling to download random executables to their PC.

However in this case I relented since it was only 1.4MB and only a floppy image. It ran perfectly, and as the message indicates, it is waiting for me to fdisk and format my (virtual) hard disk (though it turns out that the DOS format command in WinME no longer supports "format /s", so it won't be possible to install DOS 8/WinME stand alone on a hard disk).

This was on a modern PC with an i7 processor, so VT-x not a problem. Your Atom N450 processor doesn't support VT-x.
Attachments
Windows ME Floppy Boot.PNG
Windows ME Floppy Boot.PNG (32.93 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Just like mpack, I too did try the media (WindowsME.img) that you posted. I actually stuck it in an existing Win98 VM (I took a snapshot before, can't hurt me) and it booted just fine. But both myself and mpack have VT-x available on our hosts...

I believe your problem to be elsewhere...
00:00:07.005701 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
Lean_geek wrote:1 winMe bootdisks (boot floppy, install cd and vmware made hd) causing error on vbox 5
Lean_geek wrote:2 They run good in vbox 4.2 or vmware etc
Unfortunately, your Atom N450 does not support VT-x. So, you can't run this VM as is. Your best bet would be to try something from the 4.3.x series, the 5.0.x series or the 5.1.x series.

The higher the VirtualBox version, the more dependent it is on the existence of VT-x, as the "raw mode" will be getting phased out over time.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Please try the image with vt-x usage disabled in vm settings.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Lean_geek wrote:Please try the image with vt-x usage disabled in vm settings.
I can't disable VT-x in the guest, I'm on OSX, it's not available as an option, VT-x is always "enabled" in my case. But this has absolutely nothing to do with what I told you.
  • It's not a matter of using VT-x in the guest.
  • It's a matter of not having VT-x on the host! That's your problem!
I'm afraid that unless you downgrade your VirtualBox installation to a version that has better support for "raw-mode" (aka the mode used when there's no VT-x on the host), we're going to be running in circles.

Those I'm afraid will have to be my last words on the whole subject. You can't expect ancient hardware to run the latest and greatest. Switch to an older VirtualBox version, you'll live longer (and so will the rest of us).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Those I'm afraid will have to be my last words on the whole subject.
I ... lied, I thought of another test. I launched my Win7 VM, which (being a VM) doesn't have VT-x. Now, you should start thinking about the Win7 as a "host" with no VT-x capability, OK?

I installed "VirtualBox-5.2.11-122202-Win" and created a WinME VM, accepting the defaults. I pointed the floppy disk to the "WindowsME.img" that you provided, and I had previously successfully tested. Once again, this is a Win7 "host" with no VT-x capabilities, trying to start a WinME VM from the floppy that you provided.
The exception Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x65c080e6.

Click on OK to terminate the program.
So, no VT-x on the host, crashes the thing... QED.