[Solved] Gest Additions 5.2.8 cannot install on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pehachem

[Solved] Gest Additions 5.2.8 cannot install on Windows 10

Post by pehachem »

Hello,

Yesterday, I installed VirtualBox 5.2.8 on my Windows 10 Pro. My first VirtualBox install ever.
And I used it to virtualize Ubuntu 16.04 using NAT. Image was running succesfully. Port forwarding through VirtualBox too.

Today, discovering how to share folder between Ubuntu guest and Windows host, I've tried to install VirtualBox Guest Additions - downloaded from Oracle's site folder for 5.2.8 version - mounting the iso file as F: and running "F:\VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe" as administrator
==> INSTALL FAILED

Here is the content of file "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log":

Code: Select all

--------------- start of log file
(1) 0 - ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - Looking for Model Section [VBoxGuest.NTamd64]...
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_e444b010ea4466b9\VBoxGuest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_e444b010ea4466b9\VBoxGuest.inf'.
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0xE000020B)
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_e444b010ea4466b9\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_e444b010ea4466b9\vboxguest.inf'.
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_e444b010ea4466b9\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_e444b010ea4466b9\vboxguest.inf'.
----------- end of log file
The file C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_e444b010ea4466b9\vboxguest.inf' was present.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Philippe.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Apr 2018, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Gest Additions 5.2.8 cannot install on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

I think you may have the terminology somewhat confused, that's why you also posted in the "Windows Guests" section, instead of the "Windows Hosts" OR "Linux Guests" sections. Because that's what you have; a Win10 HOST and a Ubuntu GUEST.

The Guest Additions are installed in the Guest as the name implies, not on the host as you tried to do. See ch. 4.2 Guest Additions for more information.

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Moving this to "Windows Hosts" from "Windows Guests".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pehachem

Post by pehachem »

Sorry for the inconvenience...
BTW, your answer had sufficient information to solve my issue.
Thanks,
Philippe.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.