[Solved] Testbuild install error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
UliBär
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP and lots of Linuxes

[Solved] Testbuild install error

Post by UliBär »

Hello,

while trying to install the VirtualBox-5.1.35-121833-Win.exe test build on a Win10 64 bit host system, i get the error, the drivers are not signed and therefore not correctly installed. Accordingly the installation is not working.

When i install version 5.1.34 everything works as expected. Is there a signing issue with the actual test build, because the 5.1.35 test build before was installed without issues?
Last edited by socratis on 27. Apr 2018, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Testbuild install error

Post by socratis »

I wouldn't think that there would be, but you're the first one reporting it, so let's wait and see what others have to say about it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bird
Oracle Corporation

Post by bird »

Which version of windows 10 is this, exactly? Could you perhaps retry installing the test build just to make sure it still fails (it has happened in the past that it took a while for MS defender to verify a new build).

Cheers,
bird.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

This could be a Defender hiccup - if someone picks up a testbuild really early, Defender (at least that's our theory) doesn't have the driver in its whitelist and plays safe. We often get reports that initially things don't work, but sometimes just hours later everything is fine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't think that the Defender's signatures are to blame at this point. And here's why:
  • Fresh installation of Win10-64 1709 from the ISO.
  • Purposely disconnected from the network so there were no Defender updates.
  • Both 5.1.35-121833 and 5.2.9-121870 installed without a problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

Hello,

tried again today, but still no luck.
I have attached the VBoxHardening.log for more information.

Will now reinstall 5.1.34.
 Edit:  Forgot: Using WIndows 10 pro 64 bit Version 1709 (Build 16299.371) 
Attachments
VBoxHardening.7z
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I see that you have McAfee installed. I won't go into the talk of how unnecessary and evil these programs are, but the warning about the unsigned drivers, was that coming from McAfee?
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

I absolutely agree with you about McAfee, but it is my work laptop and McAfee is required by policy.
I would personally uninstall it immediately, but... :/

The warning about the missing signature was from the windows system, not from McAfee though.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

McAfee here as well due to corp policy, and we didn't see such issues so far. Wondering if there's a non-standard Windows group policy in place which absolutely requires WHQL signed drivers - if that's the case then VirtualBox won't work (neither old nor new versions), because we never went there.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

klaus wrote:VirtualBox won't work (neither old nor new versions)
That's the thing, 5.1.34 works. 5.1.35 fails. So, it's not that the policy is active, it couldn't be selectively applied...
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Starting to make some sense... there was a signing cert change between 5.1.34/5.2.8 and the currently available 5.1.35/5.2.9 test builds. There are some changes in the driver signing rules between the old, 'transitional' certificate we used until 5.1.34/5.2.8 and the later one. This appears to be related to 'secure boot' being enabled. Would it be an option for you to disable secure boot?
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

Just for additional information:
The previous test build VirtualBox-5.1.35-121801-Win.exe installs on the very same system without the certificate issues.
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

What are the actual issues, to not display/delay the actual VirtualBox builds for windows?
Are this signing issues? If really that is the case, please tell us and display why!
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

The latest test build VirtualBox-5.1.37-122139-Win.exe also refuses to install, the message is from windows itself.
I presume this is also the cause of the delay in the windows releases ("for technical reasons..."):
Unbenannt 2.jpg
Unbenannt 2.jpg (111.28 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
UliBär

Post by UliBär »

Just for info: Version 5.1.36 installed ok.

...but sound is still fubar. :(