Win7 VM is very slow on host Win10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AntonioBIANCA

Win7 VM is very slow on host Win10

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

He,
some time ago i complained about the slowness of the VM: you found then the guest additions was not installed: the problem has been solved.
The host machine is HP, with Intel Pentium CPU J3710 1.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, bought 3 month ago.
But the VM remained slow.
What may be the causes of WM's slowness ?
VM's memory? Host's memory? Acceleratjons 2D or 3D? Video memory? The size of the VM disk?
If it can serve, I attach the log file of the VM: 3 files, I don't know the difference between the one and the another.
Just to know, I've another computer laptop HP, 4GB RAM, the VM has 25 GB of size fixed, the same license Win7 PRO 32BIT on the VM, SO Win10 HOME 64BIT on the host (different release for Win10, however): on this computer, there is no difference in behavior between host and VM, and the VM release is lower then 5.6.2 (mounted 1 year ago).
There are explenations for this behavior?
Best regard
Antonio BIANCA
Attachments
(VBoxHardering.log) Delphi-Env-2018-04-10-12-47-41.zip
Log macchina spenta (size exceed 125 Kb)
(24.85 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
(VBox.log) Delphi-Env-2018-04-10-12-47-41.log
Log macchina spenta
(114.96 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: Win7 VM is very slow on host Win10

Post by erdeslawe »

"Slowness" is open to interpretation and I'll leave interpreting the logs to someone far more expert, but one thing I would take into account is the relatively weak benchmark performance of your CPU, which the Virtual Machine is dependent on and has to share with the Host System. See https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 40+1.60GHz as one sample assessment.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The host processor doesn't look great from a virtualisation point of view. I would also think about disabling 3D acceleration as the OpenGL support provided by your Intel graphics controller drivers probably isn't great.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

I too had issues with a slow VM, I then added a large SSD to my system and teh VM works much, much better, disk I/O is a big part of a VMs performance.
AntonioBIANCA

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

Oh my God, what a cheat! It looks like a Celeron ...
[erdeslawe]
I've read the report linked... When I bought the computer, I was assured it would work like a quad-core, and instead...
[andyp73]
I will tried to remove the check to acceleration 3D, but the behavior is the same.
[Rootman]
To replace the hard disk I would have to spend a digit, because it is not advisable (for a continuous access to writing / deleting) an economic SSD disk (of shorter duration), even if faster. The SSD disk is great for backup, where the data are stored and not deleted for much time.
- - -
"Slowness": the term is subjective, I agree.
Just to make the idea of slowness, these.
- if I press a button to open a form (with several fields and buttons and objects), the user sees the various objects appear one at a time, even if quickly;
- if I tap the work window in the VM and drag it to the video in the VM, every 10 pixels of the rectangle progress, 10 pixels of residual trace are formed in the queue, pixels that then vanish, and so on.
But if I change the VM's visualisation from climbing (in italian, "scalata") to full screen, the phenomenon disappears and the font (Courier New 10) is very clear;
And if I return to climbing ("in italian "scalata"), it return the phenomenon and the font size is almost bold and a few little (the size is not changed!).
This also depends on the CPU?
Thanks
Antonio BIANCA
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You have a quad core host, but you have only assigned one core to the VM. Hence if it's a new install then it's going to run like a snail until it's finished its Windows Update checks.
AntonioBIANCA

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

He,
there is a possibility?
The VM is not new, she is a VM create under VirtualBox 5.2... (1 year ago) on another computer and transferred under Virtualbox 5.6.2 on this new computer.
What is "Windows Update checks"? Who do checks? and how?
To tell the truth, on old computer the VM went slow, but the host was an old seven 32-bit, and I believed the fault was of the S.O.
Must create a new VM?
Where input plus cores? In "Settings/System/Processors"?
Can be this a solution?
Thanks
Antonio BIANCA
AntonioBIANCA

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

Good morning,
I've read articles on numbers of virtual cpu assigned to guest, and now I know.
Is not possible to change the number of vcpus assigned tu a VM, though if the VW is in shutdown state.
It's necessary to create a new VM and assign it a number appropriate of cpu (I've read your answers [mpack] to TheRaven in 2016).
Thanks for availability.
This case is solved (I hope).
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AntonioBIANCA wrote:Is not possible to change the number of vcpus assigned tu a VM, though if the VW is in shutdown state.
The VM is not shutdown from within the VM. The VM is in saved state. You need to shut down the VM from within the VM, and then you'll be able to make the changes you want. No need to create a new VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AntonioBIANCA

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

socratis wrote: The VM is not shutdown from within the VM. The VM is in saved state. You need to shut down the VM from within the VM, and then you'll be able to make the changes you want. No need to create a new VM.
I apologize for my bad english!!!
I talked about "shutdown state" of the VM intending closing the OS from the inside of the VM: in this case, the indication of the state is "TURNED OFF" or "CLOSED".
If instead I close the VM (click on button "X", item "Save the state?") , the final state is "SAVED".
If I click on item "Menu/Settings/System/Processor" (and the VM state is "CLOSED"), equally the CPU cursor is disabled (vew the attached file) and is not possible to change the cpus number.
Maybe it's another menu item to visit?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AntonioBIANCA wrote:(vew the attached file)
You didn't attach a file. If you're thinking about including a picture, then attach it here, locally (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

But there is no need to, I took a 2nd look at your log and I saw this:
00:00:07.541002 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
That's why you can't change the number of CPUs, even if the VM is shut down. You need to enable VT-x on your host first.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AntonioBIANCA

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

He,
I've activated the VT-x mode in Efi/Bios, but the situation worseded!
If before of VT's change (during a dragging of a window) one queue appeared at rigth of the same window and then disappeared, activating VT the queues remain all until the window is released...
I think is a slowner of the processor, a processor chill!!!, and restored the previous state.
I thank you for supporting me during this "search of the truth".
Good work to all.
Best regards.
davidmcdavid

Post by davidmcdavid »

You check you don't have the Windows feature "Hyper-V" installed
That get's first shot at VT-X and will hide it from VirtualBox.