Failed to import appliance, windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ithortureu

Failed to import appliance, windows 10

Post by ithortureu »

I downloaded virtual box yesterday, the 5.2.8 version from the virtualbox site. I also downloaded the windows 10 stable (16.16299). I extracted the file, but for some reason I can't import it into my virtualbox. Whenever I try to import it, I get an error message, and when I click the details it says that it "could not create the imported medium" and that it "can not write allocated data block" and I'm not sure what to do about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to import appliance, windows 10

Post by socratis »

ithortureu wrote:I also downloaded the windows 10 stable (16.16299).
Why?
Where did you get that pre-made VM from?
Why don't you donwload the ISO from Microsoft and create a new VM from scratch?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In addition to other issues, I suspect that the OP may be trying to create the VM on external media, and either running out of disk space, or hitting the file size limit of FAT32. I'm guessing that "could not write allocated data block" is because a VDI tried to grow and couldn't.
ithortureu

Post by ithortureu »

@socratis I downloaded the windows 10 stable from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/. I tried to import it into my virtual box but it won't let me.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What about the questions that mpack asked? Where are you trying to import this OVA to?

Just FYI, I've imported those OVAs multiple times , so that part is not the problem. Did you make sure that your download isn't corrupt? Did you compare the checksum?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ithortureu

Post by ithortureu »

Honestly I don't know too much about what I'm doing. It seems like there's a bit of a learning curve before you figure it all out. I'm just downloading the file, and (on the VB) going to file and then import appliance, and it starts to load but stops and gives me the error message I said earlier. How would I download the file to the right place?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Where you download the file to is not the issue. Checking that the download isn't corrupted may be an issue (though IMHO the error message doesn't say to me that the problem is the OVA source). More of an issue is the drive you are unpacking the OVA onto. I suspect you have no space on the destination drive, or no write permission, or it's a portable external drive formatted for FAT32 on which you've hit the FAT 4GB filesize limit.
ithortureu

Post by ithortureu »

So what would be the fix for that? What would I need to do to fix it
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Unpack and import the OVA in your native Win10 hard drive. By default it should be NTFS, which can accommodate files more than 4 GB in size (which your OVA most probably is). The point is to not use any media that's formatted as FAT. Any kind of FAT.