[Solved] Internet connection not working on guest system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pato

[Solved] Internet connection not working on guest system

Post by pato »

Hi,

I have the VirtualBox 5.1.22 installed and I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on it. My host system is Windows 7. When I installed everything, the VirtualBox/Ubuntu seem to have configured the network connection correctly by themselves.
I am working on my company's computer and the company changed the firewall. After that, the connection on my guest Ubuntu system is not working anymore. If a ping for example google, there seems to be a connection, but if a want to load google in a browser, it does not load anything. Same with other websites. I was told that that's because of the change of the firewall and that I have to reconfigure my VirtualBox. But I do not really find what I have to change.

I would be very happy if you could give me some tips what I have to change to reconfigure. I read in some forums that I might have to change the IPv4 address, I tried but it didn't help.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Pato
pato

Re: Internet connection not working on guest system

Post by pato »

Was ich noch vergessen habe, ich habe ein Host-Only Network.
pato

Post by pato »

Sorry, language confusion: What I forgot to write: it is a host only network.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

pato wrote:I have the VirtualBox 5.1.22 installed
That is now about 12 months old and so you might want to consider upgrading at some point.
pato wrote:it is a host only network.
A host only network is as it describes a network between the VM guest and the host system and doesn't give any access to the internet, which contradicts your earlier statement about it working in the past. Chapter 6 of the User Manual show the various networking modes and what they will and won't support.

You probably need to switch it to NAT or bridged mode.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
pato

Post by pato »

Hi Andy,

thaks for your answer. Ok, I see your point. That's weird, because I did not change anything in the configuration of the VB and I can just see a host only network. And yesm before I was able to access websites. I thought, it was just using the network from the host..
pato

Post by pato »

One question: if the host only network can not povide an internet connection, then I shouldn't be able to successfully ping google, right?
pato

Post by pato »

Ok, me again. Please excuse my ignorance, but I do not find in the manual the instruction to set up the NAT.. Finally used this site w w w . techrepublic . com/article/how-to-create-multiple-nat-networks-in-virtualbox/ and configured the NAT as described there. Nothing changed, everything's the same..

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

pato wrote:if the host only network can not povide an internet connection, then I shouldn't be able to successfully ping google, right?
I would expect that to be correct, yes.
pato wrote:Any ideas what I could be doing wrong.
If you can post a copy of the VBox.log file from the guest (zipped of course) then we can check the configuration and see if there is anything obviously wrong.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
pato

Post by pato »

Hi Andy,

sorry for the late answer. Had some other urgend projects going on, so I could not work on this project I need the VB for. But now, I'm again working on it and so, I have to solve the issue that the internet connection is not working.

I compared the configuration of my VirtualBox on my company's computer (the one with the internet problem) with the VirtualBox on my private computer (on this one, the connection does work). I can see that on my private computer the configuration is NAT, so I guess that was also the case on my VirtualBox on my company's computer when I installed it. I changed the configuration to NAT and compared configurations. I didn't find much to configurate and I read on this site https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/network ... box-v2#NAT that NAT is actually the default configuration when the VB is installed and that the NAT configuration should be perfect for my use. On that site it also says that the NAT does not have to be configured at all. This is what I remember about installing the VB, just installed and without configuring anything of the network connection, I could access the internet.

Remember, my company changed the firewall and since then, the internet access does not work anymore. Reading about NAT, I cannot see what should be changed because of the firewall change.

I attached the VBox.log and I would be so glad if you could look it up and maybe give me some hints about what is going wrong.

Thanks so much!
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

This almost certainly isn't relevant to the problem you are having with the networking but you should look to fix this:
VBox.log wrote:
0:00:01.123069 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
For the matter at hand:
pato wrote:Remember, my company changed the firewall
If the company have changed the firewall or its settings then that may be preventing you accessing the internet and you would need to go and speak to the IT folks who manage the firewall - maybe there are some new proxy settings or something needed. You could try setting the networking mode to "bridged" then it will appear the same as any other physical computer on the network and potentially would get all the right settings direct from the DHCP server.

-Andy.
pato

Post by pato »

I talked to the IT folks and they said that I have to reconfigure my VB. That I should look up in the internet how that's done and that I should know since I configured it in the beginning which is not the case since in the beginning it worked without any configuration. So I guess there should be no problem with my VB accessing the internet, otherwise they would have told me..I guess.

Ok, I will the try the bridge mode. Tried it already once without any success but maybe my configuration was not correct.
pato

Post by pato »

Btw, I can ping google

--- www.google.de ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 6010ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 12.360/12.724/13.087/0.251 ms

But neither in any browser nor crawling a website the connection works..
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

pato wrote:Btw, I can ping google
If you can ping Google the it looks very much like VirtualBox has done what it should do and set up the network hardware, has managed to obtain an IP address and the gateway / routing information.

It looks like you have a firewall / proxy type issue that needs to be investigated the same way as you would if it occurred on physical hardware.

-Andy.
pato

Post by pato »

That was the issue!!! The proxy had to be configured!! I compared the proxy configuration of the browser of the guest with the bowser of the host and modified the proxy configuration in the guest browser according to the host browser. And now, I can access websites through the browser in the guest bowser.

Just need to find now how to change this in the crawler, but at least now I know what to look for.

Thanks so much for your help!