CPU slowdown moving to new host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nvbits

CPU slowdown moving to new host

Post by nvbits »

I am moving a virtual machine over to a new computer and have noticed a significant reduction in guest cpu speed compared the host.
I used the export/import appliance function to ensure configuration was consistent.
I have tested the vm on my home computer (to see if it was a windows 10 issue) and it did not show any slowdown.

This slowdown impacts all cores given to the guest, I have tried with 1, 4 and 10 cores given to the vm, and multi core performance scales with core count.
The issue is single core performance appears to be about a third of the host potential.
The host does show unusually high cpu usage when this is happening, the vm runs ok, but compiling code and other benchmarks show the speed deficit.

I have attached three log files:
the bad performance vm log
the old computer (good perf) vm log
the home computer (good perf) vm log

Thank You for the help
Attachments
logs.zip
three log files
(78.35 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: CPU slowdown moving to new host

Post by socratis »

I don't want to dive too deep in it, but, a couple of comments...
nvbits wrote:I used the export/import appliance function to ensure configuration was consistent.
The best way to move a VM between hosts that use VirtualBox is to "copy" the whole folder. See "Moving a VM".
nvbits wrote:The issue is single core performance appears to be about a third of the host potential.
Well, your "good" one is running at 3.3 GHz and the "bad" one at 2.2 GHz. So... it kind of makes sense, no?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nvbits

Post by nvbits »

Thanks for the tip on moving the VM, I did not know it was ok just to copy the entire folder.

Some single core performance slowdown is expected on this new system, the trade off is there are more cores now.
The new system has a ten core processor versus the old quad core.
This system also has an SSD instead of a hard disk, making everything load much faster.

The issue I am experiencing is during cpu intensive work, Visual studio can compile a project in ten seconds on the old system.
on the new system the same compile takes thirty seconds. This is where the third of host potential came from.

I have been playing around with this to try and find a root cause:
I created a new VM with windows 10 64 bit, same slowdown.
I tried using VMware Workstation with both the old image and a new windows 10 one, both have the slowdown.
I have tried using Hyper-V and have found that there is no slowdown in either a new windows 10 vm or my old one. Visual studio takes ~12 seconds to compile, I think that is reasonable given the clock speed reduction vs the old computer.

I would like to figure out where this slowdown is coming from, it does not seem to be a virtual box or windows 10 host issue, given that the same vm does not slowdown on another windows 10 machine.

Could there be some catch with the Xeon processor ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

nvbits wrote:Could there be some catch with the Xeon processor ?
Could very well be. Not enough optimizations? Not taking full advantage of its capabilities?

The thing is that you observe this through the whole spectrum of your tries, so, if the only common denominator is the Xeon with VisualStudio...

Hey, could you try GCC for something relatively big and compare? Maybe GCC has worked around the kinks and it may be VisualStudio after all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.