[Solved] Cannot attach medium errror

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Zejific14

[Solved] Cannot attach medium errror

Post by Zejific14 »

How to fix this error ? My server machine has became inaccessible after shutdown. The last thing that i did was insert a WindowsServer.iso to the optical drive because i installed a new services to the server and after shutdown the server machine this happened.

This is the error that i got:
Cannot attach medium 'E:\Setup\Operating System\Windows Server 2003 R2\_Getintopc.com_Windows_2003_Server.iso' {7487f6d4-ceeb-4ab7-ac3f-b917673b7781}: medium is already associated with the current state of machine uuid {49dfc51d-6fe6-4673-ba55-ff2316a2b721}!.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jun 2018, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot attach medium errror

Post by mpack »

I think it's telling you that it can't mount that ISO in that machine because it's already mounted in that machine, though that interpretation rather depends on what VM the "49dfc51d-6fe6-4673-ba55-ff2316a2b721" machine UUID corresponds to. Use the VM Devices menu to eject it if that's what you want.
buenosdias
Guest OSses: XP

Post by buenosdias »

i have also mount WindowsServer.iso to the optical drive today and getting the same error that it is "medium is already associated with the current state of machine uuid" what should i do. i am trying to restart and re mount to iso but unable to mount.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Do you have any snapshots? Does any of those snapshots contain a reference to the ISO that you're trying to re-mount?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Open the vm in explorer, default

Code: Select all

[c:\users\uname\virtualbox vms\vm name\
Close vbox gui.
Open the vbox file in text editor, find tag <dvd image > and </dvd image> . Delete everything between them. Save and start vbox. Then try to mount the cd.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

We do not encourage novices to manually edit the .vbox file. Stick to the UI until it's proven that it won't work.
alphase
Guest OSses: XP

Post by alphase »

I solved it by removing the DVD that caused the error. From File >> Virtual Media Manager >> Optical disks.
If you can not delete it you will have to do what they say here, open the vbox file with any text editor and delete the corresponding tags (Image and AttachedDevice)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Elmo9

Post by Elmo9 »

Lean_geek wrote:Open the vm in explorer, default

Code: Select all

[c:\users\uname\virtualbox vms\vm name\
Close vbox gui.
Open the vbox file in text editor, find tag <dvd image > and </dvd image> . Delete everything between them. Save and start vbox. Then try to mount the cd.
This just saved my Vbox. I had this issue today but I could not make any changes to my machine as VM frose when I tried anything. Opened the Vbox file in notepad, deleted the lines as stated above, saved and restarted VM and now everything works again!