Snapshots in new VBox 5.2.8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AntonioBIANCA

Snapshots in new VBox 5.2.8

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

Hi,
I'd two VM in old computers (S.O. Win10); I buy a new computer (with Win10 home) and I download the new release of the VBox ( 5.2.8 ).
After created the VM, I've create a snapshot ("VM new and clean"): in case of error or crash, I turn to the snapshot I think.
After I've inserted variations, and I've created a new snapshot ("VM clean with resolution 1240").
But where are the snapshots?
In section "instruments", there are three sub-section; one is "hard disks".
There is a tree with three items, one child of the other. The last is the first VM created? and the first is the current VM?
If I delete the last item (the first VM?), and restart the machine, DHCP don't receive any boot ad restart fails (machine halted). In this case, I must restore the previous snapshot and the VM go ok.
In the previous release, the snapshots appears in a box and an item of the menu indicates this choise: click on a snapshot change the current VM.
Now, how to change?
What snapshot to delete?
But if they are "incremental", is it possible delete any snapshot?
I hope to have been clear.
Best regards
Antonio BIANCA
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Snapshots in new VBox 5.2.8

Post by mpack »

Right click the VM in the manager. Choose "Show in Explorer". This will take you directly to the folder where the VM files are stored. If the VM has snapshots then they can be found in a subfolder called "Snapshots".

Please be aware that snapshots are not backups, they allow you to choose between different states for the guest, at the cost of a lot of host disk space. They do nothing at all to protect you against a host crash.

The VirtualBox user interface hides the implementation details from you, so you shouldn't need to worry about how snapshots work. Hence you can delete snapshots in any order: think of them as markers on a timeline, not as files. If you no longer need to return to a certain moment in time then you can delete that timeline marker, this will also free up some disk space.
AntonioBIANCA

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

Ok, received: snapshots are not breakpoints, nor instant copy. I've wrong understood.
But, then, what is the scope of the snapshot?
I must do a clone, to save a VM'state?
Or is enough a backup copy of the VM in the VirtualBoxVM directory?
- - -
Ah, onother thing.
On my new keyboard, the right Ctrl is not there.
What is the "host" key, in this case?
I've not found the menu item to change the key "host".
Best regards.
Antonio BIANCA
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I will not explain the value of snapshots, since in my opinion they have none.

On making backups, you simply copy the VM folder to backup storage: Howto: Move a VM (backup is just a special use for moving a VM).

On the host key, this can be configured in File|Preferences|Input in the manager.
AntonioBIANCA

Post by AntonioBIANCA »

Ok, received.
All clear.
Post closed.
Thanks
Antonio BIANCA