Problem with my current VDI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Douxourson

Problem with my current VDI

Post by Douxourson »

Hi guys, maybe someone can help me here.
I made a VDI Image Disk and used this for now 2 years. I changed computer and since i can't open the image anymore.
I see a Windows blue screen and can't see the error because it's very fast.

I did attach the log in a zip file (was too big)

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.zip
Logs
(49.93 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problem with my current VDI

Post by mpack »

Your problem is because you moved the VDI to a new PC instead of moving the VM. It is not typical to carry just the hard drive from your laptop from place to place, typically you carry around the entire laptop, as integrating a bare hard drive into a new laptop is likely to be a tricky proposition.

Howto: Move a VM.

It's a really weird phenomenon. People are fixated on the VDI because it's so large, they simply don't see any of the other files.
Douxourson

Post by Douxourson »

Thanks for the reply.
The old laptop hard drive is crashed. The VDI is the backup file i was able to recover. Your procedure will work or i really need the original laptop ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well done for creating a backup at all. Not so great that you only backed up one file from the set.

I'm afraid I can't diagnose this remotely for you. Your problem is undoubtedly that your new VM "recipe" is not compatible with the old one, but I really have no way of knowing how your old VM was configured. I can tell you that a common mistake is to attach the hard disk to a SATA controller, which an XP guest will not normally recognize. You should use an IDE controller instead.

Incidentally, the VDI should be placed inside the VM folder to avoid similar errors in future. If the hard disk is too large for drive C then move the entire VM folder to drive D. Howto: Move a VM.