Fatal error during installation -- Log error included --

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MayB

Fatal error during installation -- Log error included --

Post by MayB »

I've tried to install virtualbox - 5.2.8. (installing with "run as admin" enabled) and when I come to the end of installation it rolls back and a window opens saying Fatal error during installation and no reason is given.
I enabled MSI logging and here is this file,
thank you.

I am running windows 10.
MSI58188.zip
MSI log
(61.47 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
MayB

Executing the TextStyle view failed

Post by MayB »

I keep running into these errors while installing and was wondering if anyone has a solution.
I believe it is these lines which indicate the error in the MSI log.

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2888. The arguments are: TextStyle, ,
Action ended 12:41:43: VBoxFatalErrorDlg. Return value 2.
Action ended 12:41:43: INSTALL. Return value 3

CustomAction MsiInstallDrivers returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
MSI (s) (A8:38) [12:41:40:264]: Closing MSIHANDLE (107) of type 790536 for thread 10448
Action ended 12:41:40: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

The full log is available in my other post.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Executing the TextStyle view failed

Post by mpack »

Have you tried downloading VirtualBox again? And doing a checksum test on the download? I have to say however that this looks like an MSI/registry problem to me - if the problem was systemic to the installer then lots of people would be getting it.

p.s. Cross posting is against the forum rules, so I have merged your two topics.