unlinking / deleting linked clones

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ChuckieCage

unlinking / deleting linked clones

Post by ChuckieCage »

I am new to the VM world and have spent all day trying to find out how to unlink and remove a linked clone that I made by accident with no luck, the main VM is win 10 that I made a linked clone from, I just want to go back to it being a stand alone (unlinked) clone, I can not reinstall win 10 as I have no way to reactivate it as I was given the upgrade through the people with disabilities program that Microsoft ran up until Dec 2017, I was trying to make a backup just in case the main VM got infected with a virus, or crashed, I am not real good at this so please be patient and detail the steps needed to reverse my mistake, thank you. I deleted the clone that I linked to it but the main VM still shows that it is linked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: unlinking / deleting linked clones

Post by socratis »

ChuckieCage wrote:I deleted the clone that I linked to it but the main VM still shows that it is linked.
It's not actually linked, it simply has a title with "Linked" in it.

You did the first step; delete the clone. The second step is to just delete the snapshot that is automatically created when you create a linked clone, the one with the "Linked" name on it.

Go to the "Machine Tools" (top-right, the hammer icon), click on the drop-down and select "Snapshots". Select the snapshot with the "Linked" name on it and "Delete" it. It will merge your current state and the snapshot to a current state.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.