error - specified file could not be found

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MarEng

error - specified file could not be found

Post by MarEng »

I am running a host computer with win10 pro, with a virtual machine running win7 pro 32 bit.
When trying to read in a PDF file into a VB6 program code on the virtual machine, using a third party software, I get the error message "2147024770 (8007007e) automation error - specified file could not be found".
The same software works perfectly OK on another straight laptop running win7 pro 32 bit.
Please, has anybody experienced this error, or know the possible cause, or more important how to rectify the problem ?
In hope .....MarEng
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: error - specified file could not be found

Post by socratis »

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
MarEng wrote:using a third party software
Maybe you should talk to them then...
MarEng wrote:"2147024770 (8007007e) automation error - specified file could not be found"
...or search for that error in your favorite search engine. There are plenty of results from a first pass...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MarEng

Post by MarEng »

Hi Socratis
Thanks for your response. I agree it is not necessarily a problem of the virtual machine. With respect the 3rd party they are currently denying its their problem, but the virtual machine - I am trying to establish what is the cause - your answer goes towards confirming my suspicions !
As to searching the web I have done this with no successful answer - many claim it is because the Windows script file is not registered (scrrun.dll) - which I have registered to no effect.
Onwards in hope .... MarEng
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MarEng wrote:many claim it is because the Windows script file is not registered
Actually, I'd say that most of them point to a registration issue. So, either re-install the software, or ask the software developers what DLLs and other components they need to be registered.

This is not a VirtualBox problem. It can't be, by definition...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MarEng

Post by MarEng »

Hi Socrates
Thanks again for your comments, to which I tend to agree ! I am still awaiting an answer from the third party - they are being somewhat negative in their response.
As you suggested I will try registering the DLLs yet again and see what happens .... MarEng
MarEng

Post by MarEng »

[Case closed but not yet fully solved !] The problem is not that of Virtualbox as expected. I tried a similar third party software program with no problems, which I will now use. As stated it is the fault of the first third party loaded software - not Virtualbox. Thanks for help. MarEng