copy w10 guest to new host - no drive C:

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
expat1001

copy w10 guest to new host - no drive C:

Post by expat1001 »

5.28, W8.1 host, w10 guest. simple install, just one drive and partition. I copy it to another machine and W10 will not boot. Opening a cmd prompt from the tools shows me on drive X: Drive C: exists but is empty. any idea? THanks
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: copy w10 guest to new host - no drive C:

Post by BillG »

How did you copy it? Where did you copy it to?

You need to copy the whole VirtualBox VMs folder from your Users file to the Users file of the new host.
Bill
expat1001

Post by expat1001 »

Not so. I copied 2 VDIs to a remote computer and recreated the VM using those VDIs. The windows 7 one works fine.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

You were lucky once. Then your luck ran out.
Bill
expat1001

Post by expat1001 »

BillG wrote:You were lucky once. Then your luck ran out.
Ignorant response, as was your first. If you don't know and haven't even got a clue what the problem is, and nothing to offer but incorrect information and stupid questions like "where did you copy it to" it's best to just STFU.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

I know exactly. Copy the whole folder, not just the .vdi. Then you do not even have to create a new vm. Simply double-click the vbox file to register the vm.

Doing it your way will only work if the vm you create is a good match to the previous one. If it is not, it will not run. It also may not activate because it is "new" machine.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What BillG said is 100% correct, and the questions he asked should be answered, not dismissed.

@Expat: if your abrasive attitude continues then I'm going to ban you. We have no need for those attitudes around here. I hope this statement is clear.
expat1001

Post by expat1001 »

For an I.T. professional to introduce "Luck" into a technical discussion is an embarrassment and is not helpful to either solving the problem or increasing the knowledge of the forum users. There is always a reason. If the forum admins disagree with that statement, then go ahead and ban me.

If someone did not want to get into *why* it did not work was to say something like "You are going about this the hard way. Assuming there are no snapshots, copy the .vbox file as well, go to Machine, Add, and it will work", I would have been grateful and would have been helpful not only to me but to others. Saying "your luck ran out", was not appropriate and well, just silly.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Which "IT professional" are we talking about? These are user discussion forums, no one is here in a professional capacity.

Anyway, if you refuse to answer or even consider questions posed to you then this topic serves no purpose. Locking it.