Error on Importing Kali Linux .ova file and installing via .iso file

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ali Qureshi

Error on Importing Kali Linux .ova file and installing via .iso file

Post by Ali Qureshi »

Greetings everyone,

I have recently bought a new laptop and encountered a problem which I am unable to resolve. On importing .ova file of Kali Linux downloaded from offensive security website I am encountering the following error:
Failed to import appliance D:\Virtual Machines\Kali Linux\kali-linux-2018.1-vbox-i386\kali-linux-2018.1-vbox-i386.ova.

Could not create the imported medium 'C:\Users\Ali Qureshi\VirtualBox VMs\Kali-Linux-2018.1-vbox-i386\Kali-Linux-2018.1-vbox-i386-disk001.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_FORMAT).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: ApplianceWrap
Interface: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
I am also encountering issue when I am installing Kali Linux on Virtual box via .iso file.

My base operating system is Windows 10.

Kindly guide through. Thank you!
Last edited by Ali Qureshi on 9. Mar 2018, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error on Importing Kali Linux .ova file and installing via .iso file

Post by socratis »

Importing is one thing.
Creating a VM is another.

So, you can't be having a problem with both of them, at least not the same error. The first error (importing) is pretty clear, something is not right in the VMDK file. Can you post either directions on how to get the OVA, or obfuscate the URL, or include the URL in a text file?

When you try to create a VM you should not be getting this error message, but something different. Please include that error message.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ali Qureshi

Post by Ali Qureshi »

The ova was downloaded from via torrent. Please find attached the link file of the public link source of download of .ova file of offensive security.
https://www.offensive-security.com/kali ... -download/

Apologies on incomplete and incorrect explanation. I tried to install Kali Linux on virtual box via .iso file is what I meant in the 2nd part. Error which popped up was "An Installation Step Has Failed" The failing step is: Install the system." Attachment is the screen shot of the error.

Thanks.
Attachments
VirtualBox_Khalli_09_03_2018_23_41_14.png
VirtualBox_Khalli_09_03_2018_23_41_14.png (6.14 KiB) Viewed 10819 times
Last edited by socratis on 10. Mar 2018, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. You might want to talk to "Offensive Security" about that. Also make sure that your SHA256Sum matches theirs.
  2. That is not a VirtualBox error, that is an error from within Kali installer. I don't know what failed or not, but please try to create a new VM and give the virtual hard drive at least 20 GB when creating it. Other than that, you may have to ask at the Kali forums as to what may have failed.

Can you do me a favor and right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Explorer", ZIP that .vbox file, and attach it to your response?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ali Qureshi

Post by Ali Qureshi »

I did an update on my operating system i.e. March 5, 2018—KB4090913 (OS Build 16299.251).
After the update, I downloaded the .ova file from offensive security website again and I just now imported it and everything was fine completely. The import was successful with no error.

Please find the attached file of .vbox as requested named as Khalli.zip. Please be advised. later on the same .iso file booted live Kali Linux i.e. in-persistent one.
Attachments
Khalli.zip
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 380 times