[Solved] Linux Kernel level for Guest Additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
terry2016

[Solved] Linux Kernel level for Guest Additions

Post by terry2016 »

Since my installation really HAS to not gore itself I am unwilling to run a windows test build of Virtualbox. And I don't really use Windows for anything other than a VPN connection. So when I found out a little while ago that Guest Additions had stopped working I was somewhat surprised. But now it is really starting to be a pain.

I stopped installing Fedora Kernel updates. And I was very hopeful when the new VirtualBox 5.2.8r121009 shipped the other day. But unfortunately even the oldest kernel I have in Grub is still too new.

So while I eagerly wait for 4.16 to fix all this can anyone tell me what kernel I could use now? It seems certain some list would be published but I haven't found it.
Last edited by socratis on 13. Mar 2018, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux Kernel level for Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, but I didn't quite get your problem...
Is your Fedora kernel too new for the current VirtualBox?
Are you waiting for an update to VirtualBox 4.x.x? There's *no* VirtualBox 4.16, so check again.
Maybe you mean Kernel 4.16? You have a 4.16 kernel and the GAs are not building? Or what?

Always state Host, VirtualBox, Guest. Complete versions. For example, Win10 is *not* a version, it's a "family". Complete versions, builds, revisions...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
terry2016

Post by terry2016 »

I am running the latest production virtual box. It is version 5.2.8r121009.

I read that in Linux Kernel 4.16 will include the virtual box additions as part of the kernel itself. Unfortunately of course we don't know when that will ship. The current Linux Kernel is 4.15.4-300. And the additons will positively NOT install on this version.

So the question is what version of the kernel will Virtualbox Additions 5.2.8r121009 install on.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

4.15.3 was definitely working.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
terry2016

Post by terry2016 »

Thanks!

I've got it working now.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].