Only 32-bit guest options on 64-bit machine running Windows 10 1709

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mimcco

Only 32-bit guest options on 64-bit machine running Windows 10 1709

Post by mimcco »

I know this looks like same issue that's been reported numerous times over the years, but I think this one is different.

I've tried on 5 different 64-bit machines and made sure that on each of them both VT-x/VT-d are enabled and Hyper-V is not installed. Yet on three of the machines I am only allowed to select 32-bit guests and on the other two I can select 64-bit guests. What I've noticed is that the three machines that only offer 32-bit are running Windows 10 version 1709 and the two that offer 64-bit are running Windows 10 version 1703.

I know that Microsoft is pushing the 1709 updated so more and more machines will be running it over time. Can anyone else repro this issue? Any other workarounds I should try?

Thanks,

-Mike
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Only 32-bit guest options on 64-bit machine running Windows 10 1709

Post by mpack »

No, it's no different from the hundreds of similar complaints. But, for some reason everyone always thinks theirs is a special case.

Read thoroughly: FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
CratylusCO

Post by CratylusCO »

I work for a pretty big company and a lot of my team mates who have a similar laptop and system are running it fine, the only difference is that my system is brand new. We have similar builds and programs installed. I am no slouch at a computer but I am having similar issues and it is confusing us. I did make sure to follow every step in the other articles. I even went as far as creating a boot loader with no Hyper-V. Nothing works, I still only have 32-bit guest options.

In my bios Virtualization is checked and Hyper-V is off.
My CPU is 64 bit and supports virtualization. Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

CratylusCO wrote:Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
You got to understand that this is an area with little room for new ideas. There's only one idea to be exact; something is using your VT-x. That's it. That's all. There is nothing more to add.

What is that something? We cannot possibly know, that's unfortunately something that you'll have to find out for yourself. We can only point to the usual suspects. But the list keeps growing every day.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:We can only point to the usual suspects.
The usual suspects with your latest version of Windows 10 includes Hyper-V not actually being disabled when you think it is - in this version unchecking Hyper-V in Windows Features doesn't seem to be enough.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
yomoenco
Guest OSses: Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, Centos

Post by yomoenco »

I have this issue after I got a BSOD in VMM... when I ran an `apt-get upgrade` in my guest. Now amdvhyperv.exe keeps telling me the processor is capable of running Hyper-v "Because it is already running"
Strange as Windows 10 HOME does NOT come with Hyper-V (and thus there is no option to disable it).
In safe mode I can create 64-bit guests so I am adding services to safe mode to find the culprit but now actually thinking more in the area of loaded drivers.

Is there a list of the usual suspects?
and how can I unload a driver to see whether that was using the AMD-V?

Thanks,
YoMo&Co
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The FAQ (referenced in the first reply) lists known VT-x/AMD-v users.

I assume the guest OS detects Hyper-v because you've enabled the Hyper-v compatible API in the VM settings.
yomoenco

Post by yomoenco »

But the list keeps growing every day.
I had hoped that, after all these questions about 64-bit issues there was a bit more than the generic remark "Something is using AMD-v" but of course that also depends on whether the solution is posted here.
I assume the guest OS detects Hyper-v because you've enabled the Hyper-v compatible API in the VM settings.
It is not the Guest OS that detects that Hyper-V is active, even after uninstall of Vbox the AMD utility tells me Hyper-V is active.
In Safemode I have started almost all services again (had to hack registry to start them in safemode) but that still reports AMD-v is available.
In normal mode I have removed several drivers but it still reports Hyper-V is active.

I will continue this quest to determine WhoTF is causing this and (if I find it) will report it here.
yomoenco

Post by yomoenco »

I think I can elaborate on the generic remark "Something is using AMD-v""
I was victim of FAQ remark "2. On some Windows hosts with an EFI BIOS, DeviceGuard or CredentialGuard may be active by default," (with the exception that it looks like I don't have a (U)EFI BIOS)
(mea culpa @mpack and @socratis and maybe this reply will point people a bit more in the direction.

Microsoft has this feature which conflicts with VBox.
(1)
Virtualization-based protection of code integrity: This is protection that uses Windows 10’s new virtualization-based security (VBS) feature
(2)
This feature is controlled via registry key "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard" and if this key is present with key EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity = 1 VBox is NOT able to run 64 bits guests.
You can control this key via the hardware readiness tool or

Code: Select all

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard" /v "EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Learned a lot (registry hacking, tools) and lost a lot of sleep but I think I will leave it here and get on with my life.

Success in your quest to get 64 bits guests working.
Yomo&co

For further reading:
(1) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... on-control
(2) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... d-security
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back, that looks like a helpful discovery.