[Solved] virtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DW55

[Solved] virtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox

Post by DW55 »

VirtualBox-5.2.8-121009-Win.exe
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.8.vbox-extpack
Both are 64 bit.
Base memory 8000 MB
Storage 80.00 GB

Physical machine is 64bit Win10Pro Version 1709

I had two VMs working perfectly fine running version VB 5.2.6. Tonight I tried to update to version 5.2.8.

After installing the two programs referenced above, I rebooted the PC and I tried to start one of my VMs (the virtual machine 'VM10_true_Clone') and I got the following message:
RTR3InitEx failed with rc--1912 (rc=-1912)

virtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox.

Where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime What: 4
VERR_VM_DRIVER-VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912)
When I closed the error message, another pop-up showed the following:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine VM10_true_Clone.

The virtual machine 'VM10_true_Clone' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D:\VirtualMachine\VM10_true_Clone\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
The message above directs me to "D:\VirtualMachine\VM10_true_Clone\Logs\VBoxHardening.log" where I see a log containing 3110 lines.

My problem is similar to the one at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87037 but unlike him, I don't want to lose data files that have been previously downloaded and saved in folders on both of my VMs. One of the remedies I saw says to uninstall the VM and then reinstall it. Is there an alternate solution? If it is necessary for me to uninstall anything, please tell me exactly which files/folders need to be uninstalled while preserving personal data files that are stored in the VMs.

Please also tell me whether you need any other logs from me.

As of now, I have not rerun any VMs nor have I tried to reinstall or repair the VMs.

Thank you,

DW
Last edited by socratis on 9. Mar 2018, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

DW55 wrote:One of the remedies I saw says to uninstall the VM and then reinstall it.
You are confusing VirtualBox - the program (think Office, LibreOffice), with the VMs - your data (think spreadsheets).

Uninstalling/reinstalling, upgrading/downgrading, or cleaning up VirtualBox does not affect your VMs.
Uninstalling/reinstalling, upgrading/downgrading, or cleaning up a program does not affect your data.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DW55

Post by DW55 »

Hi socratis,

Thanks for the reply.
You are confusing VirtualBox - the program (think Office, LibreOffice), with the VMs - your data (think spreadsheets).
I'm not so much confused as to be uninformed about how to uninstall without damaging my data. IOW. can I just go to Control Panel and uninstall Oracle VirtualBox v5.2.8? Will that leave both of my VMs and their stored data files intact? If that's not correct, then what are the proper steps to uninstall VirtualBox while preserving my VMs?

Thank you,

DW
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DW55 wrote:IOW. can I just go to Control Panel and uninstall Oracle VirtualBox v5.2.8? Will that leave both of my VMs and their stored data files intact?
From the Odd Couple:
Felix: So In Other Words Oscar you're telling me...
Oscar: No Felix. Not in other words! Those are the perfect words!
;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DW55

Post by DW55 »

Hi socratis,

You, sir, are not only funny, but are also accurate. Worked like a charm.

Many thanks!

DW
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DW55 wrote:Worked like a charm.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
DW55 wrote:You, sir, are not only funny,
That would be Neil Simon my friend, not me ;)
Since you liked that quote, here's another favorite one, about Felix (Felix Unger), from the same play/movie:
Oscar (to Felix): You leave me little notes on my pillow. I told you a hundred-and-sixty-eight times I can't .. stand .. little notes on my pillow! "We are all out of Corn Flakes. -F.U." It took me three hours to figure out that 'F.U.' was Felix Unger!