VirtualBox looses the ability for cut/copy/paste with host system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jmar83_the2nd

VirtualBox looses the ability for cut/copy/paste with host system

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

after a (host system) restart it works again.

that problem persists since many many versions of virtualbox

the host system i use is win10 x64 with most current updates, the vm system is windows server 2003 x32 with all updates installed. the virtualbox version is:

regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Re: VirtualBox looses the ability for cut/copy/paste with host system

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

forum has problem with images, open it with "open it in new tab" or something like that..
regards, jan
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please edit your two messages so that they make sense:
jmar83_the2nd wrote:that problem persists since many many versions of virtualbox
Many? What does that even translate to? How "many" is many? Please be as specific as possible.
jmar83_the2nd wrote:the virtualbox version is:
Is what?
jmar83_the2nd wrote:forum has problem with images
Please explain. I don't see any problem with other images attached using the "Upload attachment". Within normal size restraints that is. We don't need your whole 4K desktop attached if you want to focus on a dialog. Crop the image to the dialog only. Also, why do you need an image at this point? The only thing needed at this point is a ZIPPED VBox.log from a complete VM run.
jmar83_the2nd wrote:open it with "open it in new tab" or something like that.
I'm not even sure what that even means...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

"Many? What does that even translate to? How "many" is many? Please be as specific as possible."

Every version i used since 08.2011, +/-, 1 month tolerance... ;) but forgot the exaction version numbers.

"the virtualbox version is:"

the code "[img]http://i.imgur.com/x0UKKuL.jpg[/img]" does not work. It's version 5.2.4r119785.

"open it with "open it in new tab" or something like that."

you can open the image manually if you right click on the image symbol...
regards, jan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:Every version i used since 08.2011
That's odd. You must be the only one, or you're not describing it correctly, or you're doing something wrong.
jmar83_the2nd wrote:the code "Image" does not work. It's version 5.2.4r119785.
1) Great! That means that the filters for 3rd party images that I asked from the administrators is actually working, and 2) Do you really have to include a 3rd party image to simply say "5.2.4 r119785"? Even if you had included it locally, I would have deleted it. Images are way bigger than the text that they're describing and you can't actually search or copy/paste the text from an image...
jmar83_the2nd wrote:you can open the image manually if you right click on the image symbol...
There is no symbol. Please review your posts, or even better use the "Preview" before using the "Submit".

Having said that, please update to the latest version (5.2.8 as of this writing), update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest and try again. We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

It was a screenshot of the virtualbox info dialog. Now i try the most current version, thx.
regards, jan
LinuxMatt

Post by LinuxMatt »

Unfortunately, I seem to be experiencing a similar problem. Since (being forced to) upgrade to the latest incarnation of Windows 10, I've been unable to copy/paste between my Windows 10 host and a Linux Ubuntu guest OS. This had been working w/o issue previously and even the recent upgrade to VB 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2) and the extension pack hasn't resolved it. Moreover, my shared folders don't mount and I can't re-enable my user interface. This persists despite completely shutting down the Linux Guest OS and a full reboot of Windows. I've attached logs in the hopes you can see something.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(139.97 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Somtime it works, sometime not... then i will be solved with the next version, and one version later, the problem occurs again. Yes, that's the reality!! ;)

No solution, just accept it.
regards, jan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

LinuxMatt wrote:
00:00:36.028000 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
You not only have an older version of the Guest Additions (GAs), you have the ones that came in with your distro. You need to completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..."
LinuxMatt wrote:recent upgrade to VB 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2) and the extension pack hasn't resolved it
The Extension Pack has absolutely nothing to do with the symptoms you're describing:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:Somtime it works, sometime not... then i will be solved with the next version, and one version later, the problem occurs again. Yes, that's the reality!! ;)

I rarely quote the whole message, but I simply couldn't pick up which actual part to quote, because they're all equally wrong I'm afraid.

If you install your GAs properly, and you're in the same version for the main program and the GAs, then things don't ... break. They work. Unless you have specific examples...
Mahdi63

Post by Mahdi63 »

Starting a few days ago I have same problem, I do not remember any change that be possible cause
Guest:Ubuntu 16 x64
Attachments
ub-2018-05-23-22-18-19.log
(88.66 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

regards, jan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@jmar83_the2nd
This is the second time that you "throw" unfounded, invalid statements, without any backup. There will be no third time, your message will be deleted, no questions asked.

If you have a specific problem, then you need to provide evidence and logs. Non-sense messages do not belong here, they offer absolutely nothing of value, and as pure noise, they will be removed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Mahdi63
00:00:04.252483 Shared clipboard mode: Host to Guest
You do not have the shared clipboard mode as bidirectional, was this your intention? What are you trying to copy/paste? Remember that the C/P works only for plain text, no files, folders, "complicated" text or anything... fancy.
00:00:04.228562 File system of 'C:\Users\Mahdi\VirtualBox VMs\ub\u.vhd' is ntfs
00:00:04.229459 File system of 'C:\Users\Mahdi\VirtualBox VMs\ub\NewVirtualDisk2.vmdk' is ntfs
You have one VHD and one VMDK attached to your VM. Why? Those are not the VirtualBox defaults. Was this VM created in VirtualBox, or was it imported? Also, I couldn't tell from your VBox.log what specific version of Ubuntu you're using, can you clarify?

Finally, for future reference, you should completely shut down the VM before grabbing the VBox.log. Then ZIP it before attaching it to your response.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Still the same problem with most current version...
regards, jan