VirtualBox looses the ability for cut/copy/paste with host system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JcRabbit

Re: VirtualBox looses the ability for cut/copy/paste with host system

Post by JcRabbit »

socratis wrote:That's odd. You must be the only one, or you're not describing it correctly, or you're doing something wrong.
No, he isn't the only one and he is not doing something wrong.

Drag & Drop is broken on VirtualBox, and has been for at least a year, at least from a Windows 7 x64 host to a Windows 10 x64 guest. It will work *sometimes* or once, but most of the time it causes the guest to spike to 100% CPU usage and stay there. Dragging a file over the guest window is enough to cause this, you don't even need to drop it.

I keep VirtualBox up-to-date as well as Guest Additions. It makes no difference.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

When you quote parts, please read the whole thing a little bit more carefully. Here's the whole quote, and why I told 'jmar83_the2nd' that they were wrong. I've highlighted the "wrong" part:
socratis wrote:
jmar83_the2nd wrote:Every version i used since 08.2011
That's odd. You must be the only one, or you're not describing it correctly, or you're doing something wrong.
There is no 08.2011 version. And if that was a reference to the date that the VirtualBox came out, that's 7 years old. So, something is not right, won't you agree?
JcRabbit wrote:Drag & Drop is broken on VirtualBox
Maybe, maybe not. But, did you by any chance notice the title of the thread? And the description of the problem? I'd say that you're not in the right thread, and I wouldn't be wrong.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

No, he isn't the only one and he is not doing something wrong.

Drag & Drop is broken on VirtualBox, and has been for at least a year, at least from a Windows 7 x64 host to a Windows 10 x64 guest. It will work *sometimes* or once, but most of the time it causes the guest to spike to 100% CPU usage and stay there. Dragging a file over the guest window is enough to cause this, you don't even need to drop it.

I keep VirtualBox up-to-date as well as Guest Additions. It makes no difference.

The copy/paste problem exists since virtualbox exists in my opinion... at least if both systems (host ans guest) are windows... and it does not matter which version for host or guest: xp, 2003, 7, 8.x, 10, whatever... and the most current version (and its guest additions) does also not solve the problem...

So long...
regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Why the dev team does not investigate to this problem and solves it before they develop new features...??
regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Maybe a workaround is to start the Windows VM in headless mode, then connect via Windows Remote Desktop Client...? ;-)
regards, jan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jmar83_the2nd,
I have 3 Windows hosts (Win7-32, Win7-64, Win10-64) and 1 OSX host. I have no problem with C/P in any of them with any guest that has the Guest Additions installed, be it Windows or Linux (a lot of VMs, more than 30).

As long as you remember that the C/P works *only* with simple text, for example Notepad to Notepad, CMD to Notepad/CMD, etc. Nothing fancy like formatted text, HTML text, files, or anything like that.

I honestly don't know why you're seeing what you're seeing, everything seems in order as far as the logs go.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

I have 3 Windows hosts (Win7-32, Win7-64, Win10-64) and 1 OSX host. I have no problem with C/P in any of them with any guest that has the Guest Additions installed, be it Windows or Linux (a lot of VMs, more than 30).
That's nice for you, but it does not solve the problem... maybe there is another reason, graphics driver or something else...(?)
As long as you remember that the C/P works *only* with simple text, for example Notepad to Notepad, CMD to Notepad/CMD, etc. Nothing fancy like formatted text, HTML text, files, or anything like that.
Yes, the problem occures with simple texts, on BOTH sides: from vm to host, from host to vm...

OK, will post the logs when it occurs the next time... but the problem was: When it occurs the text time, a new version of virtualbox is released. That happened many times, and it's the main reason i didn't post the logs and installed the most current version and guest addition drivers... until to the next time, and the game repeats... :twisted:
regards, jan
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:Maybe a workaround is to start the Windows VM in headless mode, then connect via Windows Remote Desktop Client...? ;-)
That's actually what I do with my OSX guests which do *not* have Guest Additions available. I use what's called the "Shared Screen" option, but it's the same idea really...
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

I use virtualbox also for server purposes, (win7 pro x64 host with old win 2003 guest (-> RDP) and "modern" ubuntu guest)

And i need to say it's a very good solution (used my millions of people), better than many free (e.g proxmox) or commercial (vmware etc.) solutions in my opinion! :-)

(And i never had problems with the LSI-4212-4i4e with HW-RAID 10 and the original windows drivers. The web GUI i use is called "phpvirtualbox"..)
regards, jan
JcRabbit

Post by JcRabbit »

socratis wrote:
JcRabbit wrote:Drag & Drop is broken on VirtualBox
Maybe, maybe not. But, did you by any chance notice the title of the thread? And the description of the problem? I'd say that you're not in the right thread, and I wouldn't be wrong.
Yes, technically you would be right, in practice OLE Drag & Drop and Cut/Copy/Paste are related and use the same mechanism, so you would also be wrong. There is another thread specifically mentioning problems with drag & drop, if that helps to convince you that the problems are real and not a figment of our collective imagination. :)

I'm also a developer, so if there is anything I can do within my limited time to help other devs get to the bottom of this, I will be happy to oblige.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

JcRabbit wrote:in practice OLE Drag & Drop and Cut/Copy/Paste are related and use the same mechanism
I highly doubt that the shared clipboard and the drag and drop on a Linux guest (for example) are using the same underlying mechanism. Or in Windows for that matter.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Now the problem occured again... will post the logs soon!
regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Newest version, no way!! ;-)
regards, jan
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Please ZIP the logfile and attach it here using the "Upload attachment" feature below the text entry field.