HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FrippsyDispy

HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition!

Post by FrippsyDispy »

I've got a 16 core AMD Ryzen CPU but I can't get my guest OS to start with anything more than eight cores. As soon as I take up to 9 cores or more, it just hangs. The end of the log files shows the following:

Code: Select all

00:00:05.256988 GIM: HyperV: Enabled TSC page at 0x000000000000c000 - u64TscScale=0xc0c0b100000000 u64TscKHz=0x33e144 (3 400 004) Seq=1
00:00:05.257038 TM: Switching TSC mode from 'VirtTscEmulated' to 'RealTscOffset'
00:00:05.258825 APIC0: Attempt to read reserved/unknown MSR (0x80e) -> #GP(0)
00:00:05.258836 IEM: rdmsr(0x80e) -> #GP(0)
00:00:05.258880 GIM: HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition! P0=0x1e P1=0xffffffffc0000096 P2=0xfffff801d80f5869 P3=0x0 P4=0x0
Does anyone else have similar problems?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition!

Post by socratis »

Partial logs are not that helpful I'm afraid. Please ZIP and attach the full log. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FrippsyDispy

Post by FrippsyDispy »

Please find full log file attached
Attachments
virtualbox full log.zip
(14.8 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Thank you for the log. Unfortunately, I'm not yet able to reproduce this BSOD on my system here. However, I've worked out a possible fix for this issue. Please let me know if you be able to try out a test-build of VirtualBox with a fix and I can upload one here.

Please try the build labelled "Development revision 121193" from this page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Oracle Corp.
Strakics

Post by Strakics »

I Have the same Problem, windows 10 Guest is crashing frequently.
My Hostsystem you can see in attachment.
also my VBox.log
I have tried Development revision 121193 with the same error.
Attachments
VBox-log.zip
(62.68 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by Strakics on 9. Mar 2018, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Strakics
You didn't attach the log file. ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Strakics wrote: I have tried Development revision 121193 with the same error.
Please attach the log of 121193
Oracle Corp.
Strakics

Post by Strakics »

I have uploades the files
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Strakics wrote:I have uploades the files
Your problem is not the same as the original poster who encounters a specific BSOD which is what r121193 is addressing.

To further add to this, your r121193 log file, further confirms it is not the same problem the original poster is facing here. Please create a different thread and perhaps try with disabling 3D acceleration for the VM (just a guess what might be going wrong).
Oracle Corp.
TheBloke
Primary OS: Solaris
Guest OSses: Windows 7, 10 64bit; Linux

Post by TheBloke »

I have this same issue, running 5.2.16 on both Solaris 11.3 and Mac OS. I've not yet tested a Windows host but presume it to be the same as the issue appears cross-platform.

UPDATE: I have just tested Dev snapshot 124007 on both Mac OS and Solaris 11.3 and it resolves this issue.

I expect that the below report is now superfluous, except to mention that this issue still affects the available 5.2.x stable releases. Hopefully the fix will soon be pushed to a full 5.2.x release?

I hoped I could simply start using Dev 124007 on my Solaris server however it introduces a major bug that prevents me doing so: VBoxHeadless segmentation faults every time I open a RDP connection to a guest. So I need to revert to 5.2.16. (That bug reported here.)

Original problem report below, applying to 5.2.14 and 5.2.16, but fixed in Dev 124007:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My symptoms:
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 guests using the HyperV paravirtualiser and CPUs > 8 will hang early in startup, locking on the Windows logo without the "spinning wheel" progress bar ever appearing;
  • This happens both when booting from an installed Win10 HDD, and with the Windows 10 installer DVD . So it is not related to the contents of an OS installation;
  • Looking at the VBoxHeadless process on the host, I see that the affected guest uses only a few hundred MB of RAM, and is stuck at 100% of one logical CPU (which is 4.1% on my host, which has 24 logical CPUs from 2 sockets * 6 cores * 2 threads; 100% / 24 =~ 4.1);
  • Switching to paravirt=Minimal allows booting a Windows10_64 guest with cpus > 8. However with Minimal guest performance is then unusably bad, regardless of number of guest CPUs (another bug?)

I boot my VMs with VBoxHeadless and then access them through VRDP. All have 3d acceleration turned off.

Host hardware:
Both the hosts I have confirmed the issue on (Solaris 11.3 server and Mac OS workstation) are running Intel X5670 Xeon processors, Westmere architecture.

I can recreate the issue in a new VM using the following CLI commands:

VBoxManage createvm --name Win10-g2 --basefolder /system/vbox/vm --ostype Windows10_64 --register
VBoxManage modifyvm Win10-g2 --memory 8192 --nic1 bridged --bridgeadapter1 "global1g0 - Ethernet" --audio none --vrde on --vrdeproperty TCP/Ports=3345 --accelerate3d off
VBoxManage modifyvm Win10-g2 --cpus 12
VBoxManage storagectl Win10-g2 --name "SATA" --add sata --controller IntelAhci --portcount 2 --bootable on
VBoxManage storageattach Win10-g2 --storagectl SATA --port 1 --device 0 --type dvddrive --medium /data/software/Win10_1803.iso
VBoxManage storageattach Win10-g2 --storagectl SATA --port 2 --device 0 --type hdd --medium /system/vbox/disks/Win10-g2/Win10-g2.disk.vdi
The above will always hang on startup with the mentioned error, "HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition!". Changing the VM as follows will allow it to boot (but run super slow):

VBoxManage modifyvm Win10-g2 --paravirtprovider minimal
Guests configured with HyperV and 8 or fewer CPUs run fine. This is fine for most of my needs, but I do occasionally want to run Windows VMs that can access more of my host's resources.

Thanks in advance.

Attached:
1. Vbox configuration file of a guest demonstrating the issue (created with the CLI commands listed above);
2. A log of a guest booted with HyperV and cpus = 12, showing the "HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition!" error and then being powered off. Guest booted with VBoxHeadless --vrde off (to simplify the log.)
Attachments
VBox.HyperV-crash.cpus12.050818.log.zip
Log of Win10 guest with paravirt=HyperV and cpus=12 which hangs with "HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition!"
(29.7 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Win10-g2.vbox.zip
Win10 guest config demonstrating HyperV + cpus>8 crash
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
sentient2

Post by sentient2 »

Same here. Windows 10 does not boot when I assign more than 8 cpu to guest. (I have 24 cpu on host available)
but it can bootup when I restrict to only 8 cpu

Host OS: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Guest OS: Windows 10

See log
Attachments
VirtualBox VM 5.2.12 r122591 linux.amd64.log
(80.15 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What are you doing in the guest that can benefit from so many cores?

Please bear in mind that VirtualBox has to emulate the features of a specific motherboard chipset, which is not going to be the same capability your host's latest greatest chipset has.

I can't specifically find mention of how many CPUs a PIIX3 chipset supports, but a max of 4 or 8 was common around that era. Exceeding this could easily cause the HAL of your guest OS to fail.
sentient2

Post by sentient2 »

@mpack thansk for the quick reply.

If indeed PIIX3 chipset cannot handle more than 8 CPU's I would expect that the Virtual Box Manager would have raised a warning
"Too many CPU's assigned" or something like that. 'Invalid setting'

Currently it reports I have 24 CPU and it shows up to 12 cpu above the green bar. Suggesting that vbox can handle this.

Do you recommend I simulate a different chipset simulation?

The question "What are you doing in the guest that can benefit from so many cores?" is not really relevant.
I am just trying to assign the max available resources from my host to the guest OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just got confirmation that the chipset has nothing to do with the number of CPUs, but mainly with the number of "PCI" peripherals.
sentient2 wrote:The question "What are you doing in the guest that can benefit from so many cores?" is not really relevant.
It absolutely is! Because if there's no need, and you simply want to break the system, well, you did it! :)

There aren't too many 12-core (or more) systems to try out or to test. So, if you are using a limiting case "just for the heck of it", and you run into a snug, I wouldn't expect that to become a high priority issue. Especially if it's not "needed" and it's just a hobby. ;)
sentient2

Post by sentient2 »

I leave it up to others if you want to consider it a bug or not.

Just FYI the Guest OS won't boot.

You will get more people running into this issue, because new processors (like threadripper) are getting more and more cores.
If you have 24 cores available and your host is not doing too much work, why not assign it to the Guest OS ?

Not everybody sees the Guest OS just as a test bed. I actually use it for my main day to day work. The Host OS is very restricted and stable. The Guest OS I allow for windows 10.

That Virtual Box will crash and cannot handle this is maybe good to share :wink: . You should maybe limit this setting from the UI.