Guest crash on video capturing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Schaffstein

Guest crash on video capturing

Post by Schaffstein »

I tried on 5.2.6 and latest 5.2.8 with several guests (XP and W7).
As soon as I switch on the video capturing the guests crashes immediately (showing "aborted" in virtualbox manager).
I can restart the guest and it'll work fine but switching on video capturing crashed the guest again immediately.
Switching on the video capture in the machine settings causes the machine not even to boot (crashes on startup).

Host is Delll Precision M6700, i7 laptop with W7 Pro 64 Bit, Nvidia K3000

Please find attached vbox.log after XP guest crashed.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(18.66 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest crash on video capturing

Post by socratis »

I have deleted your duplicate message from "Video Capturing crashes the VM in VirtualBox 5.2". According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Schaffstein wrote:I tried on 5.2.6 and latest 5.2.8 with several guests (XP and W7).
Try with the latest test build, or the latest development build, in that order: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Schaffstein

Post by Schaffstein »

Starting the Guest with the video caputuring switched on causes the guest to not even start booting and aborts almost immediately. I have attached the log file because it thought it might help because it crashes at such an early stage.
I really hope this can be fixed soon
Attachments
VBLog.zip
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you even read the post before yours, my reply?
socratis wrote:Try with the latest test build, or the latest development build, in that order: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
You didn't!
VirtualBox VM 5.2.8 r121009 win.amd64 (Feb 26 2018 15:44:39) release log
We're not going to go very far if you ask for help, advice is provided, you ignore the provided advice...
Schaffstein

Post by Schaffstein »

Hi,
Soory but I didn't pretend that I had tried the test builts and added the log file as additional information on the issue in the current and previous version.
I am using the VM on my notebook at customers sites on a daily basis and totally depend on them. Therefore I carefully update my system to the latest version usually only when they are officially released.
I can't afford to "play" and jeopardize my work environment. I added the log of the the same machine because the log file is apparently very short and might give someone who is able to read it a clue.
I am setting up another system on a different notebook and will check whether it will have the same problem.
I was wondering whether other users have similar problems (at least I found a user in the linux branch who faced the same problem and where I posted first because I didn't relaize that it was for linux hotss only).
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

This is probably unrelated, but...I saw this in the logs:

Code: Select all

00:00:02.597505 VRDP: TCP server failed to bind to a port: default 3389, range [3389]
00:00:02.597765 VRDP: Failed to start VRDP-IN thread, rc = VERR_NET_ADDRESS_IN_USE
00:00:02.598534 VRDP: TCP server closed.
Try this:
- with the VM shut down
- go to the settings in the vm
- go to Display on the left
- select Remote Display tab at the top
- change the Server Port to something else not in use e.g. "3399"
- click ok.

Does it still crash when you start the guest on a different rdp port?
Schaffstein

Post by Schaffstein »

Yes it still does crash. I tried your recommendation and changed the port address to 3399. Unfortunately no change. The guest crashes immediately when vieeo capturing is activated.
I tried the same on a second Win10 Home 64Bit i3 PC (Lenovo). Same thing as on my Win7 Pro Dell Laptop.
Last edited by socratis on 13. Mar 2018, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Schaffstein wrote:Therefore I carefully update my system to the latest version usually only when they are officially released.
Then you're going to get a crash until you update to the "official" release. It's as simple as that.
robertcc

Post by robertcc »

Found the same issue reported by "Schaffstein".
As the video capture is enabled, the guest crashes and the virtual machine goes into 'aborted' state.

Guest system: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Mate
Host: Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch)

tried:
Virtualbox 5.2.8-121009~Debian~stretch
VirtualBox-5.2.9-121224-Linux_amd64 (testbuild)

no problems found on:
Virtualbox 5.1.34-121010~Debian~stretch