Error starting VM debian machine on win10 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tiaderosa

Error starting VM debian machine on win10 Host

Post by tiaderosa »

Hello,
this mornig I 've got the following error when try to start my VM debian on windows host.
Is use to work correctly few weeks ago. I have disinstalled and installe a new version of Virtual Box but I got again the following error:

Apertura di una sessione per la Macchina Virtuale Debian non riuscita.

The virtual machine 'Debian' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\acaraceni\VirtualBox VMs\Debian\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Codice di uscita:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Componente: MachineWrap
Interfaccia: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

please fint attachet my VBoxHardening.log.

I hope you can help me to solve this issue.
Thanks
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(14.37 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error starting VM debian machine on win10 Host

Post by socratis »

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines/ideas.

I'd start by uninstalling Kaspersky and Malwarebytes...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tiaderosa

Post by tiaderosa »

Thanks for your reply.
As matter of the fact I have recently installed karsperky endpoint securyty 10.
I have tried to disable all the security provided by karsperky but i still got the following error:
337c.23c0: Fatal error:
337c.23c0: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: LoadLibrary "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VirtualBox.dll" failed, rc=1790
3510.4c60: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[2]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 4348 ms, the end);
2398.20b4: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 5981 ms, the end);

It seems there is an issue with Virtualbox.dll.
Any suggestion on how overcame the issue without disinstalling Karsperky ?

I believe if that is the problem there must be a pratical solution provided by either Oracle or Karsperky.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You seem to have more than Kaspersky installed.

Why all the third party AV? Why not stick with Defender, which is known to work with VirtualBox?

There is nothing VirtualBox can do to fix a Kaspersky problem, i.e. that it blocks VirtualBox from doing the security checks it needs to do.
tiaderosa

Post by tiaderosa »

Using Karsperky is a company choise.
I cannot disinstall it
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Then you need to talk to them to:
1) exclude VirtualBox, or
2) properly sign their DLLs if they want to inject themselves into VirtualBox's memory.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

tiaderosa wrote:Using Karsperky is a company choise.
It's a very odd choice if I may say so. I.e. I find it surprising that company policy would dictate the installation of purported anti-malware software which is itself suspected of being malware - not when a trusted and perfectly adequate and less troublesome alternative comes bundled for free with the host OS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky ... nment_ties
lostpassword

Post by lostpassword »

mpack wrote:It's a very odd choice if I may say so. I.e. I find it surprising that company policy would dictate the installation of purported anti-malware software which is itself suspected of being malware - not when a trusted and perfectly adequate and less troublesome alternative comes bundled for free with the host OS.
I believe you really shouldn't discuss company's information security policy based on allegations published on Wikipedia.
There are plenty of antiviruses, Defender and Kaspersky included, all with their pros and cons. It's up to CISO to choose one, accordingly to the company budget and needs.