Failing to connect an(y) USB device to my VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
docstephano

Failing to connect an(y) USB device to my VM

Post by docstephano »

Hello,
I went trough the forum but couldn't find my answer/question posted by someone else.

I run latest VBox 5.2.6 with extension pack on Win10.
The guest OS I'm trying to use is Kali2018 (Linux 2.6) and I'd like to connect a USB wifi device.

I've read all the tutorial I found about configuring usb, usb filters aso...
I can see my Wifi USB stick connected (tried a RAlink and TPLINK and...) on my VB usb device manager.
But when I click on it to connect it to the guest OS, it tells me something like "Failed to connect a USB device..." (it's a translation as it has been installed in French :-)).
I even tried with a very simple USB memory stick: does not work too.

Installed it again on another Win10 machine (as I was thinking of a conflick with the VMware USB aritrator on the firest one).
But it is still the same.

I also tried to run VBox as an administrator ("run as an administrator") but same behaviour....

Where is the challenge ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failing to connect an(y) USB device to my VM

Post by socratis »

docstephano wrote:I've read all the tutorial I found about configuring usb, usb filters aso...
If you mean the "USB basics and troubleshooting" (all of the posts), then please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
docstephano wrote:But when I click on it to connect it to the guest OS
What do you mean "connect it"? Using a USB filter (which you should) doesn't need you to click on any "connect". You just need to plug the device after you've logged in to your guest.
docstephano wrote:as I was thinking of a conflick with the VMware USB aritrator on the firest one
That could actually be a problem, depending on which software was installed first and which second.
docstephano wrote:I also tried to run VBox as an administrator ("run as an administrator") but same behaviour....
You should not have to do that. In fact it's not advisable...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.