exception breakpoint 0x80000003 when restoring XP save state

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jasoncollege24

exception breakpoint 0x80000003 when restoring XP save state

Post by jasoncollege24 »

VirtualBox version: 5.2.6r120293
Guest Additions installed: Yes
Host: Windows 10 Pro 1709 (build 16299.248), 32GB RAM
Guest: Windows XP Pro SP3, 2GB RAM
Log file: Attached

Loading save states for this VM worked perfectly fine before the last virtualbox update, and this only happens when restoring save states. i can boot, shutdown, and reboot the VM just fine.

I did notice a failed assertion, referencing the following file "F:\tinderbox\win-5.2\src\VBox\VMM\VMMR3\PDM.cpp" which doesn't exist anywhere on my PC. other than attempting to restore from the saved state, I have made zero changes to the VM, or to virtualbox in general, except for updating virtualbox.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Attachments
vbox XP log.zip
(44.66 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: exception breakpoint 0x80000003 when restoring XP save state

Post by socratis »

What VirtualBox version did you update from? If it's a close version, that may be a bug. If it's something older, it may be acceptable. Saving VM / upgrading VirtualBox / restoring VM, is not a good idea. It's like putting your OS to hibernate, take out the HD and upgrade your computer, and try to wake up your computer again. Might fail...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

i can see why you would say that it was due to saving, then upgrading, then restoring (which i did), and I would agree, if it only did it that once. It did the same thing after rebooting, and trying again, without changing anything at all between saving the state, and restoring it. I actually restored a win 10 pro guest the exact same way, and i get no errors on restore from it.

It looks like the reference to a file on drive F: is where the crash/exception begins. XP has no access to that drive on my host, and my F drive doesn't have a folder named tinderbox. virtualbox shouldn't even be touching that drive letter at all.

I got the latest update only 2 days after the first notification for it... maybe a week or so ago? For the most part, I've been keeping up to date, so it should be a pretty close version.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jasoncollege24 wrote:It looks like the reference to a file on drive F:
No, it's not. That's referencing the VirtualBox source code.

I asked you a question about the VirtualBox versions? See if you can discover anything from previous logs.
BTW, if it works on one VM, it doesn't mean that it will work for all. So, please let's just stick to the problem in hand...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

From the log of a VM that was last run on January 16th, it looks like the previous version was 5.1.30 r118389

edit: sorry. was only pointing those items out, because they seemed like possible avenues. and attaching the hardening log from the last crash just moments ago.

edit 2: updated to 5.2.8, and the problem persists.
Attachments
xp hardening log.zip
(32.45 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

Did I frustrate you into not helping me? If so, this was completely unintentional, and I apologize.

I'm pretty tech savvy, and I was looking through the logs myself to see if I could possibly figure it out. I'm famous for tossing out ideas, or suggestions to help along the troubleshooting process. To me, that stood out, but if I'm wrong, then I am wrong, and I'll defer to someone with more experience. Since you say that idea was wrong, then I'm lost for other ideas, and would still like some help.
Schaffstein

Post by Schaffstein »

jasoncollege24 wrote:VirtualBox version: 5.2.6r120293
Guest Additions installed: Yes
Host: Windows 10 Pro 1709 (build 16299.248), 32GB RAM
Guest: Windows XP Pro SP3, 2GB RAM
Log file: Attached

Loading save states for this VM worked perfectly fine before the last virtualbox update, and this only happens when restoring save states. i can boot, shutdown, and reboot the VM just fine.

I did notice a failed assertion, referencing the following file "F:\tinderbox\win-5.2\src\VBox\VMM\VMMR3\PDM.cpp" which doesn't exist anywhere on my PC. other than attempting to restore from the saved state, I have made zero changes to the VM, or to virtualbox in general, except for updating virtualbox.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
I am facing the same problem now when I upgraded from the last 5 Version to 6.04.
Only loading save states from XP guests have the problem. A Win7 and Win10 guest works fine. I have several XP machines that i need and used without any problem for last few years. After the upgrade to 6.04 I always get the exception break 0x80000003 when loading from a saved state at the end of the process (amost a 100% done, then the exception)

What is the probeml ?

BR.
Andreas
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Schaffstein wrote:What is the probeml ?
There is a known issue with restoring saved states under certain circumstances under VirtualBox 6.0.x. See the discussion Version 6.0.0 Final Snapshot Bug and ticket #18265 Win7 in VB 6.0.0 fails on resume on 97% for more details and some workarounds you can try.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

I found the cause in my individual case, and forgot to come back here to reply for others facing the same issue.

For me, this happened, because I was saving a state, while having a flash app open in a web browser. Changing pages away from the flash app, or closing the browser before executing the save state allowed me to resume normally.