Failed to open session for virtual box machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
user78

Failed to open session for virtual box machine

Post by user78 »

My Ubunto VM (on Windows 10) stopped working after I tried to clone it (And then deleted the clone. When I try to start it, I get:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu.

The virtual machine 'ubuntu' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D:\ubuntu\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
Obviously I verified the drives are ok (It has 2 drives configured), so it's not that.

I am attaching the log file. Please help,
Thanks
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(97.43 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to open session for virtual box machine

Post by socratis »

3394.2ae4: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 1111 ms, the end);
It looks like you're having a hardening issue. Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines/ideas.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There is no way that cloning can change the behaviour of a VM in that way. Think of what else changed.
user78

Post by user78 »

Ok so the hardening suggest that SW upgrade might help, and it did :)

Unfortunately, the ubuntu VM does start, but after login it just hangs up.

Any log file I can use to check out what's wrong?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

• Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.