Virtual WDS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jco1
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Server2016

Virtual WDS

Post by jco1 »

Hello

I set up on a win7 host system the following.
Server2016 with several roles, DHCP, DNS, WDS, ...
psense firewall (so the server 2016 can connect to the internet for updates)
All virtual clients connect via the Host-Only method.
several win10 and windows 7 deployed systems that were virtally deployed and created by the server2016.

This setup is working great.
The idea is now to start the deployment on real (fysical clients).
I'm planning to add a 2nd nic on to the host system, add a switch (5 port) to it, so I have 4 free ports to add systems.

The only question is what networking should I activate on this setup. So that the actual clients will see the pxe boot and can reach the virtual server.

Also I have to consider that the 1st Nic on this system is already connected to a real domain and I don't want the virtual server 2016 to be broadcasting to that domain.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Johan
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Virtual WDS

Post by BillG »

Instead of using host only for the vms, bridge them to the new second NIC in the host and plug that NIC into your new switch. The vms and the physical machines will all be in the same network and have no network connection to the host.

You can make sure that no traffic can leak from this network to the host from the Windows OS. In the NIC properties, clear the checkbox from all the boxes except VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. The host can then not use this NIC - only the vms can.
Bill