[Solved] Load virtual disk file from external disk (USB)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mariano0

[Solved] Load virtual disk file from external disk (USB)

Post by Mariano0 »

hi,

I would like to know if anyone has tried to run a virtual machine with the virtual disk file (VDI, VHD, etc) stored on an external hard drive (USB) without problems.

Could I lose information if the system is not in use and the external disk (USB) goes into idle state?

Detail: I have USB 2.0 and I do not know the read / write rate.
Last edited by Mariano0 on 23. Feb 2018, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Load virtual disk file from external disk (USB)

Post by andyp73 »

Mariano0 wrote:I have USB 2.0 and I do not know the read / write rate.
The maximum throughput of USB 2.0 is going to make it impractical to run most guests with the .vdi file stored there. I would expect that the performance will be so slow that at least one birthday will pass just while you are waiting for the guest OS to boot.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Mariano0

Post by Mariano0 »

Thanks, it seems I'll have to find another way.

What do you think about using the caddy adapter from compactera Slim to sata and installing a second disc? Will it have the same speed as the internal sata?

PD: It's a notebook.
Last edited by socratis on 23. Feb 2018, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Even USB3 is not a fast option. It takes about 5 minutes for my Win10 VM to boot. I don't even want to try USB2...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mariano0

Post by Mariano0 »

Ok, loading a virtual machine from USB is a bad idea. I will continue with the idea of using a Caddy Slim to save the VM.

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards.