Unable to Install Guest addition on VMbox 5.1.32

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Soliloquist

Unable to Install Guest addition on VMbox 5.1.32

Post by Soliloquist »

Guest Addition files
Guest Addition files
Capture.PNG (32.31 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Hi all. I am new here and desperate for help.
I installed VMbox 5.1.32 on my Win 10 system and installed Ubuntu 16 as the guest. The virtual machine is slow and lagging so I decided to install the guest addition but the iso image of the guest addition opens to this image (attachment) and I tried following the instructions to install but I keep getting this error (attachment 2). I am not sure how to proceed.

Please let me know if any other information is required.

Thank you!!
Attachments
Error
Error
Capture2.jpg (105.02 KiB) Viewed 759 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to Install Guest addition on VMbox 5.1.32

Post by socratis »

Soliloquist wrote:I installed VMbox 5.1.32 on my Win 10 system and installed Ubuntu 16 as the guest.
Soliloquist wrote:I decided to install the guest addition
Guest. Guest Additions. Why on earth are you trying to install them on your host?

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Soliloquist

Post by Soliloquist »

Yes, I realized I was doing it wrong. But I have no idea how to do it within the virtual machine. Google didn't help in that regard. I'll read the links you posted and try to understand it. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Soliloquist wrote:But I have no idea how to do it within the virtual machine. Google didn't help in that regard.
Google? Why Google? Have you tried the User Manual? Chapter 4.2...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.