[Solved] Virtual Box not showing 64bit anymore in Win 10 64bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hanhorde

[Solved] Virtual Box not showing 64bit anymore in Win 10 64bit

Post by hanhorde »

Hi,

I have a Win 10 - 64bit installed on my desktop. I had 'till yesterday VirtualBox 5.1.x installed on my OS and everything worked so fine, i had both 32bit and 64bit options in VB.

Then, i have decided to uninstall VB 5.1.x and install the new VB 5.2.6 on my OS. So, i have installed it ...and surprise...i can see now only 32 bit versions when creating new machines. So, i decided to re-install again VB 5.1.x after uninstalling the new VB 5.2.6 and the same, NO 64bit options there :)

Note that:

- i have Win 10 64 bit OS.
- Hyper-V is disabled (no checks or other things in windows features).
- I have virtualisation ENABLED in BIOS.
- Device Guard/Credential Guard is disabled.
- No antivirus is installed.

The interesting part is that the VB 5.1.x is also not showing anymore 64bit options, after it worked CORRECTLY 'till yesterday :(

What could be the problem ?? Please help me to solve it as quick as possible. I need to get my machines back.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by hanhorde on 19. Feb 2018, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box not showing 64bit anymore in Win 10 64bit

Post by socratis »

After making 110% sure that Hyper-V is disabled in the Windows Features, you might want to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled and do a cold boot (i.e. shut down the host for a minute or two). You also must make sure that nothing else is using Hyper-V, things like antivirus, debuggers, emulators, etc. Check out the articles "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" and "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" to get some ideas...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hanhorde

Post by hanhorde »

Thank you, i checked, everything looks fine. But still VB does not show 64bit option and I am really mad right now :?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that's the only solution. Something is using VT-x. Nobody can tell you what that something is, you got to find it. We can only give you ideas about what that might be, based on previous experience.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

hanhorde wrote:Hyper-V is disabled (no checks or other things in windows features).
That doesn't necessarily mean that Hyper-V is disabled, particularly if you are running a very recent build of Window 10. Can you help us to help you by giving the output from running "winver" on your host and then once we know exactly what we are dealing with we may be able to give more accurate instructions on where to go poke.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
hanhorde

Post by hanhorde »

I got angry yesterday and I've made a clean copy of latest WIN10 - 64bit version from Microsoft, so i have installed a fresh WIN 10 - 64bit os.

I have checked again and again the following properties:

- Win 10 64 bit OS.
- Hyper-V is disabled (no checks or other things in windows features).
- Virtualisation ENABLED in BIOS.
- Device Guard/Credential Guard is disabled.
- No antivirus is installed.
- Fast boot disabled.

But still i got the same problem on the new and fresh WIN10 on 64bit.

My new fresh WIN10 - 64bit version is:

Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.248)

Thank you.
Last edited by socratis on 19. Feb 2018, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

From this post we see that in some circumstances disabling Hyper-V through Windows Features doesn't in fact disable Hyper-V. Have you tried either, or both, of the following commands:
dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Rather than this stream of assertions it might be really handy if we saw a VM log (zipped).
hanhorde

Post by hanhorde »

andyp73 wrote:From this post we see that in some circumstances disabling Hyper-V through Windows Features doesn't in fact disable Hyper-V. Have you tried either, or both, of the following commands:
dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
Thank you very much Andy. The command:
  • bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
SOLVED THE PROBLEM. Now I can see 64-bit options in VB.

I just hate WIN 10 :(

Thank you all guys. I am so happy now. Have a great day !!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Virtual Box not showing 64bit anymore in Win 10 64bit

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. I'll start including the two commands in my copy/paste advice. And thank you for marking it as [Solved]... ;)