[Solved] BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

[Solved] BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Postby mberemand » 13. Feb 2018, 19:02

When I attempt to use a virtual machine where one of the mounted disks is a vmdk pointing to a real disk, VirtualBox throws the error:
The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-0" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). Make sure there is enough free space on the disk and that the disk is working properly. Operation can be resumed afterwards.

Error ID: BLKCACHE_IOERR
Severity: Non-Fatal Error

HRID-2018-02-19-11-30-55.zip
Log file
(22.88 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

The disk in question is not locked for read/write by the host operating system in any way. The createrawvmdk command was run as Administrator and the virtual machine was also started as Administrator. If I turn on "Use Host I/O Cache" the error does not appear but the guest OS hangs. It is as if the disk is being used in read-only mode, even though Diskpart says it isn't.

Host machine is running Windows 10 64-bit. Various Windows and Linux guests are all affected. VirtualBox version 5.2.6 and 5.1.32 both encountered this error.
EDIT: version 5.2.7 build 120865 also doesn't work.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Feb 2018, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mberemand

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint, Arch, Win XP

Re: BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Postby mberemand » 20. Feb 2018, 18:37

bump
mberemand

Postby mpack » 20. Feb 2018, 20:42

This subject has been dealt with several times in the past (since Vista in fact), I'd have thought that a search would turn something up.

e.g. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38914
mpack
Site Moderator

Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby mberemand » 20. Feb 2018, 21:06

I used several search terms in this forum as well as other sites and I only ever found suggestions to make sure I was running VBox as admin and to enable Host I/O caching. I did not see that particular thread. Previously, I made sure the READONLY attribute was cleared for the disk I was using, but that thread also mentions that I should OFFLINE the disk. After doing so, the problem is resolved. I'm not sure why it mattered, as I've been using the same configuration on Windows 7 and 10 hosts for a while and only just now encountered this issue with my most recent Windows 10 computer. I've never had to OFFLINE disks for them to work for raw vmdk. I could even get away with leaving drive letters assigned if the filesystem was ext4 or something that the Windows host couldn't read.

Anyways, thank you for your help.
mberemand

Re: [Solved] BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Postby Asad MIrza » 2. Mar 2020, 23:47

Issue resolved ,
Go to
->Virtual Box settings
->Storage
->Controller:SATA