hardened error after latest win10 update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
j99li

hardened error after latest win10 update

Post by j99li »

I am getting this Error :

supR3HardenedWinResSpawn (rc=-5640)
Please try reinstalling VirtualBox
where:supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what:1
VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONG(-5640) - Process Verification Failure:
The process has more than one thread.

I have been reading everything related to this issue through the forum and the internet.

the windows 10 version is 1709, build 16299.192

attached the hardening log.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(11.7 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: hardened error after latest win10 update

Post by socratis »

j99li wrote:VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONG
I had a hard time finding any references mentioning this one. There was only a single reference actually; you! You didn't copy/paste the error, right? Which is worth a kudos for effort, but it carries obvious, inherited dangers. ;)
Oh, and another kudos for zipping your logs! ;)

The "VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONE" error is not one of the common ones, but the advice is right there in the error message:
j99li wrote:Please try reinstalling VirtualBox
Did you?

Also read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines/ideas. Finally, have a look at another discussion "Hardened error unable to start VM's" that contained the same error...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
j99li

Post by j99li »

Hi scoratis, I did reinstall and had tried at least 5 different version from 4.3 to 5.2.

Sorry i didn't copy paste the error and messed that "alone" :lol:

I had read those 2 references link you suggested before i posted this. The one that has same error as mine was the AV issue. but i do not have any AV except the MS Window Defender.

Do you see any obvious problem when looking at my hardening log?

any debug process would help?

Thanks anyway.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

j99li wrote:Hi scoratis ... Sorry i didn't copy paste the error and messed that "alone" :lol:
I'm starting to see a pattern here... :D
j99li wrote:but i do not have any AV except the MS Window Defender.
The FAQ doesn't talk about antivirus only. System files can get out of whack if the certificate database does not get updated properly. See also some 3rd party troubleshooing articles:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
j99li

Post by j99li »

Just wanna update this issue a bit.

I was reading this https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15827 ... num_hist=2
And someone said reverting back to reversion 4.3.12 works. Then I tried it and it works without hardening error.

So i am wondering what is main difference between this old version and most recent ones like 5.1 and 5.2.

Although i can just keep using the old version, but i would like to install the most updated ones which is being supported.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

j99li wrote:So i am wondering what is main difference between this old version and most recent ones like 5.1 and 5.2.
Sometimes it makes me wonder why I even bother to link to FAQs... :roll:
SorishK

Post by SorishK »

Hi guys,

I am having the same issue after my win10 update recently. I was using VirtualBox 5.2.6 when I got the message. Then I upgraded it to 5.2.12 but issue remains. Then I started to look for solutions. I looked at Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues and also ran SFC and DISM command. None of those worked. Also, tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck there as well. Finally, I tried installing older versions 5.1.38, 4.3.40, 4.3.12 and those still didn't work. So now I am not sure what can I do.

Please if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Regards,
sorishk
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

We will need to see the VBoxHardening.log file from the guest in question. zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
SorishK

Post by SorishK »

Thanks Andy. I have attached the VBoxHardening.log here. Not sure if this matters or not but I have reinstalled 5.2.12 version and this log is generated when I tried to open virtual machine there.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(13.39 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

@SorishK - I'd start by uninstalling Digital Guardian and PowerBroker as they are possible causes of the problem. if you can't do that then see if you can find a way to set an exception in them to get them to keep their nose out of VirtualBox's business.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.