[Solved] VBox machine crashes on shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sharkey

[Solved] VBox machine crashes on shutdown

Post by Sharkey »

Recently upgraded from a 3 year old version of VBox to latest (5.2.6 r120293) with some issues. Update went OK but then none of my machines would start so I loaded the additional drivers which didn't immediately fix the problem. I then disabled the Audio which allowed me to open shutdown machines; machines in a saved state had to be discarded but then opened OK.

The main problem I have now is that the VBox machines will not shutdown correctly, crashing instead (I see the instance disappear almost immediately). I know this because on restart I always get to chose "Safe mode... start windows normally" and Windows starts OK. I have tried increasing the available memory (RAM and Video RAM) with no affect. I don't know what else to try.

NB. I deleted some lines out the middle of the log as it was 140K.

WEBTEC-VMMDW3-DHM-2018-02-12-12-16-51.log
Last edited by mpack on 14. Feb 2018, 14:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Delete unwanted log.
Sharkey

Re: VBox machine crashes on shutdown

Post by Sharkey »

Further information: After updating to the latest version of VBox the machines would not start, failing very quickly. After installing "Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.6-120293" the machines got much further before flagging a different error, something related to audio. A solution was to disabled audio through settings which worked but led to the latter problem of the machines crashing on shutdown.

Incidentally, I had to force a shutdown on a machine because it had locked up (USB devices issue) and it shutdown properly. Then it restarted without the need to select normal/safe mode, but continues to crash out normally.

Any suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sharkey wrote:NB. I deleted some lines out the middle of the log as it was 140K.
Rendering the log useless.

Use zip to reduce log sizes before attaching them.
Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Here is a full log (zip)
Attachments
WEBTEC-VMMDW4-2018-02-12-17-22-30.zip
(28.02 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If I was you I'd reduce the number of cores allocated to the VM to 2, as 4 cores leaves nothing for the host.

Otherwise, I don't see any sign of a crash. The log shows all of the intermediate steps from the shutdown request all the way to the ending of the VM process. The total run time of the VM is only 42 seconds, so I take it this was not a real session.
Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Thank you, its working OK now.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] VBox machine crashes on shutdown

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.