[Solved] Ubuntu VM stopped working on Windows 10 Home host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AnEngStud

[Solved] Ubuntu VM stopped working on Windows 10 Home host

Post by AnEngStud »

Hi, I've set up a virtual machine running Ubuntu 14.04 on a Windows 10 Home laptop.
After some trials, I succeded in making it work, everything worked great, but I had to let it by itself for a month due to some private issues. I kept using the laptop during that time just for some everyday life chores, then I changed antivirus from avast to bitdefender and back to avast. This morning I was back at work, so I turned on virtualbox, and the first thing I got was a pop up saying one or more virtual hard disks, cd/dvd, etc. was not available.
When I checked it, I noticed a problem with optical disks, and in the specific, with guest additions
I tried to reinstall guest additions, both the original version I had and a freshly downloaded one, but I got an error, saying verr_version_mismatch, code E_FAIL (0x80004005)
I also tried checking for a new virtualbox version, but I got an error message here, too, saying it failed for unknown reason.

May you help me in getting it working again, please?
Ubuntu 1404 64b-2018-02-07-16-35-04.rar
(25.54 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

*edit, I also installed a couple of android emulators in the past month. Maybe it was the fault of one named droid-x?
*edit: I'm pretty positive it was droid-x's fault, since I've seen a virtual machine by its name in virtualbox's list, and the folders were changed. Would it work uninstalling virtualbox and reinstalling it? will I be able to open the existing virtual machines I've already created and saved?
Last edited by socratis on 12. Feb 2018, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
AnEngStud

Re: Ubuntu VM stopped working on Windows 10 Home host

Post by AnEngStud »

Oh, I've solved it. It seems the installation of that android emulator really messed up virtualbox, so I uninstalled droid-x, installed again virtualbox, to repair it, and everything is working now.
Mods, you can close this thread, thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Ubuntu VM stopped working on Windows 10 Home host

Post by mpack »

AnEngStud wrote:Mods, you can close this thread, thanks.
The only time we close down a discussion topic is if they're obsolete or break the rules.