[WorksForMe] Guest access to drive on host without network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mikefletcher85
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

[WorksForMe] Guest access to drive on host without network

Post by mikefletcher85 »

I have tried to get this to work but am running out of ideas, maybe its something that cant be done. I figured I would ask here as a last ditch effort.

I have a Windows 10 host and an Ubuntu guest. I have two drives on my host that I need the guest to have access to. I was able to get the guest to access the drives via Shared Folders but it appears that this is done via a sort of network share. I am getting the guest setup with VPN (PIA to be specific). I enabled the VPN kill switch in the VPN client (more info here https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/p ... ectprotect) which basically disables the network connection when the VPN disconnects. The problem is that when this happens it also breaks the Shared Folders in VirtualBox.

Is there any other way to allow both my host and guest access to the same folders on the drives?
Last edited by socratis on 14. Feb 2018, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest access to drive on host without network

Post by mpack »

mikefletcher85 wrote:I was able to get the guest to access the drives via Shared Folders but it appears that this is done via a sort of network share.
It isn't.
mikefletcher85
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by mikefletcher85 »

Strange. When I first enabled the kill switch it seemed that I lost my shared folders too, thats why I thought it was a sort of network share (that and in windows you can access the shares by going to \\vboxsvr). I just tried it again and its working. Must have been a fluke or something. Either way, please disregard this post as it seems it was something on my end.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Feb 2018, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You can have VirtualBox shared folders even if you have no network cards available in your guest. ;)
Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.