Virtual box network adapter error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Vips

Virtual box network adapter error

Post by Vips »

Hello,

I am trying to do port forwarding as mentioned in this video - youtu.be/cPrjX5VFXrE, so that I can access my virtual machine for SampleApp607 on my host machine. I am selecting NAT and in Port Forwarding window I have given HostIP and hostport correctly but when I try to save the settings it says -
"Failed to save settings"
Details: Empty of null bridged interface name is not valid.
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: NetworkAdapterWrap
Interface: INetworkAdapter {e925c2aa-4fe4-aaf6-91c5-e9b8ea4151ee}

Can anyone please help.

Thankyou.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual box network adapter error

Post by mpack »

Please zip up the .vbox file for that VM and attach it to a post here.
Vips

Post by Vips »

Hello, attaching the vbox file kept at location- C:\Users\username\VirtualBox VMs\SampleAppv607p-appliance.

Not sure if this is sufficient to debug.
The actual VM file which VM box manager plays is of 24 GB so didn't attach that.

Thanks.
Attachments
SampleAppv607p-appliance.zip
File zipped from location- C:\Users\username\VirtualBox VMs\SampleAppv607p-appliance
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Vips wrote:Details: Empty of null bridged interface name is not valid.
Bridged name not valid. Do you have a Bridged network card pointing to nowhere? Do you have a warning icon in the settings? A yellow triangle with an exclamation point? Hover over it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You posted in "Windows Hosts" - is that what you have?

Anyhoo, it appears that at some time this VM had a second NIC enabled, configured for bridged mode, and bridged to host adapter "eth0". Unfortunately, on a Windows host the NIC name "eth0" is gibberish, since that's a Linux NIC name.

The adapter has since been disabled, but not deleted, so the wonky definition still exists and that's what VirtualBox is complaining about.

Unfortunately the UI will make this tricky to fix (it was never intended to cater for vbox files moved from Linux) so instead I've fixed it manually - see the attachment.
Attachments
SampleAppv607p-appliance.vbox.zip
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Vips

Post by Vips »

Thanks a lot.
Yes I have it on my windows.
File you have given is indeed working.
I am able to setup port forwarding, it doesn't throw E_FAIL error anymore.
However I am still unable to access VM from my local browser on my host machine.
It says "This site can't be reached. ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED".
BI and database servers inside VM are up and running while I am trying to connect from my host machine browser.

Attaching the screenshot of port forwarding rules I have set in Vmbox settings as well the error I am getting in my host machine browser.

Is there any further setting missing which is blocking the host machine to connect to VM ?

Thanks for all support.
Attachments
Host machine browser.jpg
Host machine browser.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Port forwarding.jpg
Port forwarding.jpg (101.26 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Sorry, someone else will have to help you with port forwarding, because I've never used it. If I wanted to browse into a guest I wouldn't have started with a NAT connection.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That's right. Start with the HostOnly connection. If you want internet access, then add a 2nd network adapter.

Please read the following: User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.

PS. Please crop your images to the important areas. We don't need huge pics of your whole desktop. And prefer PNGs instead of JPGs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.