[Solved] Guest Additions while restore image

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
manin

[Solved] Guest Additions while restore image

Post by manin »

Hello, I have a system image , I want to install as VM.
I boot my VM with rescue media to restore this image, but I can't give the path to it's location

I tried with usb disk and through network, but without guest additions it was not possible.
Is there any way to install guest additions without installed OS?

Best regards
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Gueast Additions while restore image

Post by socratis »

Can you describe your problem with a little bit more detail? I can't make heads or tails. From what you're trying to restore, how, where, when, if, etc... Details. Lots of details...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

manin wrote:Hello, I have a system image , I want to install as VM.
I boot my VM with rescue media to restore this image, but I can't give the path to it's location
You need to boot the VM with whatever whole disk backup software was used to make the image, and use its restore function.

The image must be placed on a path type which the backup software knows how to access, e.g. a network shared folder or a USB drive.

You can't use any feature that requires the GAs, since the backup recovery CD has none installed. So, no GA shared folders and no drag and drop.
manin

Post by manin »

Hello, sorry for the delay.

I created a VM (NAT, shared folder) and set it to boot from cd.
Placed Reflect rescue media and started the VM.
The image is located to the folder I shared

VM booted and Reflect boot app started. Trying to navigate to image location, network is blank. Can't see any device.

Tried also with Bridged mode, in network settings
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Make sure that you have network access in Bridged mode when booted with your restore ISO. Try with the IP of the host instead of the network view. Also, try with HostOnly.

But this is more of a question about the Reflect people. I don't even know what their OS is at that point...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:But this is more of a question about the Reflect people. I don't even know what their OS is at that point...
It's Windows PE I believe. You are given the option to build recovery disks from your choice of recent PE kernels (Win7, Win8, Win10 etc). I would think it supports networking and DHCP. It will certainly support USB. Even back in the days of BartPE those features were supported.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You have a system image of what? Is it a system image of a vm or a physical machine? Was it created using Macrium Reflect? Where was the rescue disk created?

The rescue disk has all the drivers needed to restore the image to the system on which the image and the rescue disk were created.

@mpack Yes, it uses WinPE. (And it is British, I believe).
Bill
manin

Post by manin »

I don't know what I was doing wrong, but it worked finally.

Thank you all for your help!!!