Windows XP host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ima

Windows XP host

Post by Ima »

Hello,
I am trying to install VirtualBox on a windows Host XP. No matter what version I install I get the message:
WinVerifyTrust failed on stub....
Host Windows XP SP3
I however run VirtualBox 5.0.14 on another PC with Host windows XP SP3.
Any help appreciated
TKS
Attachments
VboxError.jpg
VboxError.jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 7797 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows XP host

Post by mpack »

Which VirtualBox version is being installed, and using what installer? I.e. are you using the standard exe installer from the download area of this site?

Also, are you sure you're trying to install VirtualBox, and not trying to run a VM? The error dialog makes no sense to me in the context of the MSI (Windows) installer.

I do see a recommendation in another post that people try :-

Code: Select all

Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Signing > Ignore.
Since your problem could possibly be that the certificates database on your XP PC is obsolete and no longer maintained.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I have to add that VirtualBox dropped support for WinXP hosts with 5.0.x. Which means if it works, fine. If it doesn't too bad...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ima

Post by Ima »

mpack wrote:Which VirtualBox version is being installed, and using what installer? I.e. are you using the standard exe installer from the download area of this site?
4.0.36-104075-win.exe (downloaded from this site)
mpack wrote:Also, are you sure you're trying to install VirtualBox, and not trying to run a VM? The error dialog makes no sense to me in the context of the MSI (Windows) installer.
The installations works fine. But the program does not start and I get that anoying notification
mpack wrote:I do see a recommendation in another post that people try :-

Code: Select all

Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Signing > Ignore.
I have tried it and it does not work
Last edited by mpack on 8. Feb 2018, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit post for readability, remove user responses from quote.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I see. So the first post was very misleading. "I am trying to install VirtualBox" implies that you had not already succeeded in doing so, which was a false statement.

And I'm suspicious about the new information too. I.e. what does "the program does not start" mean? Do you mean that you can't run the GUI? Or is it that you can't launch a VM?

Btw, the 4.0.x branch (first launched in 2010) is ancient and no longer supported. Even the last maintenance release was over two years ago.
Ima

Post by Ima »

mpack:
I have virtual box running on several hosts (XP, win7 x86, win7 x64)
I am now trying to install in a new host. Windows XP SP3.
The program does install but, the gui does not launch.
I found some troubleshooting on this page:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/vir ... ilure.html
I did it with the setreg 5 true, but still the gui does not launch, prompting with the same error.
I still need help.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that link will not be useful to you. He's talking about VirtualBox after 4.3.14, which is when the hardening checks came in FOR VMs. I had this in mind when I asked you to clarify what "the program" meant. I don't see why hardening would prevent the GUI from launching, and in any case is irrelevant for you because you're using 4.0.36, which is from long before the hardening feature existed.

You do have a certificates problem, this is clear from the error message. Equally obvious is that it can't be due to any change in VirtualBox since you haven't changed VirtualBox - your copy is 2 years old.

So, best guess is that you have certificates checking enabled but either your local certificates cache is damaged or the internet infrastructure needed to check certificates no longer exists or is no longer compatible. Were you at least keeping the XP host up to date? I'd advise an WSUS offline update if not.

Disabling the certificates check ought to have worked around the problem, but if it didn't then I don't see much else that we here can do.
godzilla99

Post by godzilla99 »

I know VirtualBox 5.2 works in XP SP3 host OS, because I was using last year. In a fresh install of WinXP SP3 as host I'm getting the the error "WinVerifyTrust failed", with all the same numerical errors as the first post in this thread. I have the solution to fix this, but I can't post links until my account is 1 day old.