Multiple VMs with the same IP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
WinOleg

Multiple VMs with the same IP

Post by WinOleg »

My host machine is Windows 10, there I run 2 Debian VMs: Redis and PostgreSQL.
They are pre-installed VMs from "bitnami"
I'd like to have multiple VirtualBox VMs on the same host machine: Redis, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch.
And to have an access to these VMs from other workstations in my Windows network with domain controller etc.

All VMs have Networks: Bridged, I have renewed their MAC addresses.
But when I execute
ifconfig
I see that both machines have the same IP address: 192.168.0.86.

How I can fix it?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Multiple VMs with the same IP

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run, from both VMs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WinOleg

Post by WinOleg »

Done.
There are 2 log files from my VMs.
Attachments
2VM_Logs.zip
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

"Hardware"-wise, these VMs look fine. You should start looking in their software configuration. Or ask Bitnami...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

After some more comparative analysis (not between your two VMs), here are some interesting things that I found:
00:00:01.858220 Guest OS type: 'Other_64'
00:00:01.860906 File system of 'E:\VMs\bitnami-redis-4.0.6-0-r04-linux-debian-9-x86_64-disk1.vmdk' is ntfs
That's a really weird template choice for a Debian. I mean, the "Debian (64 bit)" option is right there...
00:00:02.054505 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000020000000 (536 870 912, 512 MB)
That's rather small for a 64-bit Debian. Most probably because of the wrong template? Not really, because the default for "Other 64" is 64 MB, not 512. So somebody messed with, just not enough...
00:00:02.054616 [/Devices/lsilogicscsi/0/Config/]
Speaking of messing (up). LSILogic? Why, oh, why? Because it can?

I think you should talk to the Bitnami people...
WinOleg

Post by WinOleg »

Hi socratis, thank you for your notes.
I have asked bitnami supporters, waiting comments