VirtualBox Manager Has Stopped Working. Please Help Me Out

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ThisEndUp

Re: VirtualBox Manager Has Stopped Working. Please Help Me Out

Post by ThisEndUp »

You say "Dump does not appear." Did you follow the directions given me a couple of days ago (9. Feb 2018, 12:33) to create a minidump? Follow this link and follow the directions. If you're on a Windows machine, be very careful, because you'll be editing the registry. Good luck.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Core_dump.

~R
danklambsauce

Virtualbox crashes when i click 'New'

Post by danklambsauce »

I recently installed the new version (5.2.6) of Virtualbox, and everytime i click on 'New', it immediately crashes. I was looking for some fixes but it seems like there aren't any. Any suggestions? PLEASE?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@danklambsauce
I merged your post with an existing thread with the same symptoms. Please read the thread from the beginning to see what debug information is required to possibly identify the issue.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

Yes, I set up, rebooted the computer - the ladies did not create.

You may need to resort to the program: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/procdump
Attachments
Minidump.jpg
Minidump.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 4831 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That makes 6 users in 10 days. Something is rotten in Denmark...
I would like to ask ALL of you to think and check what has changed in your system. Check the update logs (system, antivirus, application, etc), event viewer, crash dumps and anything that might have happened in the last 10 days. We need to find what's the cause of this.
  • When did you update to 5.2.6? Does it fail if you completely uninstall VirtualBox and re-install it? With right-clicking on the installer and choosing "Run-As-Administrator".
  • What's the default location for your VMs? Did anything change? Did your available locations change (network/USB/other added/removed)?
  • Did you install/modify/remove any software?
The only common thing that I see so far is that you all run Win7-32 as your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you please try the newly released VirtualBox build after r120865? Does it still crash?
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

Installed version r120865 and successfully created a virtual machine. While inside the system did not put.

I have an operating system without an antivirus and a firewall. Previously, VirtualBox did not stand. Windows updates were installed in 2015.
AndyMc99

Post by AndyMc99 »

I am a new VirtualBox user.
Win7 Home Premium SP1.
r120293 gave me the "VirtualBox Manager Has Stopped Working" error.
r120865 gets me further-so far at the Create Virtual Machine dialog box and hasn't crashed yet.
AndyMc99

Post by AndyMc99 »

Spoke too soon. It allocated my memory and disk space, but when I clicked on Start I got a different error :-~
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@ThisEndUp
It seems that the dump that you provided helped a lot! Thanks...

@sergeyml
Thanks for reporting back.

@AndyMc99
This thread is pretty specific about the VirtualBox Manager crashing when creating a VM. Not about "starting the VM crashes". Glad that r120865 works for you as far as creating a new VM goes.

You will need to open a new thread for your start crashing problem. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
ThisEndUp

Post by ThisEndUp »

Hi. Glad I could help. The new version seems to work just fine, meaning it has been stable while I installed and configured Debian 9 (Stretch).

However, I have at least two problems with running Stretch inside a VBox: 1) it's too slow, and 2) I can't figure out how to get the OS to recognize the (ancient) video hardware within VBox, so it can't use the full 1920x1200 screen. But it's not worth pursuing the display issue given the overall sluggish response. I've been running this machine as a dual-boot machine for a couple of days, and it runs native Linux quite a bit more quickly than hosted Linux (and it uses the screen at full resolution). So, since I've got lots of Windows machines, I'll just run this old machine as a native Linux box.

Thanks for all your help.

~Richard
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please open a new thread for a new issue. One thread per issue and one issue per thread. The... title doesn't match ;)
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

I want to note that I installed xp x32 and it also does not start quickly, at startup, it seems to hang ...

We are now moving together in a new topic?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes you do. This thread is about a specific reported problem with a crash at the creation of a new VM. And a very specific fix with a special build of VirtualBox.

Not for every VirtualBox problem out there...