Virtualbox GUI hangs on startup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox GUI hangs on startup

Post by socratis »

@bbdwic
So, let me see if I get this correctly:
  • without the USB game controller, you have no problem.
  • with the USB controller, your GUI doesn't show?
If so, could you please ZIP and attach two VBox.log from the two different runs? One with and one without the controller in question?

And please ZIP and attach the "recipe" of the VM. Right-click on the VM, Show in Explorer. ZIP that file and attach it as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Does it really hang completely, or will the GUI start after waiting some minutes?
For me it looks like Windows is trying to initialize some kind of media enumeration and falsely detects the game controller (or Thunderbolt devices in some other cases) as media providers.
So the startup is slowed doing by all these requests from Windows to theses devices which are just waiting for (long) timeouts each because the devices don't respond to this.
bbdwic

Post by bbdwic »

It has been unresponsive for at least 10 hours.

The following log file was created after a reboot of the host and starting the GUI with the USB controller plugged in.
VBoxSVC.log
With USB controller plugged in
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
The following log file was created after a reboot of the host and starting the GUI without the USB controller plugged in.
VBoxSVC.log
without USB controller plugged in
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 10 times