VirtualBox.exe makes keyboard unresponsive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
chrismbryant

VirtualBox.exe makes keyboard unresponsive

Post by chrismbryant »

Hello,

I recently downloaded version 5.2.6 of VirtualBox for Windows 10 (Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13, Model 20175, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00 GHz 2.50 GHz, with 8.00 GB RAM). When I run VirtualBox.exe, before even attempting to add any guest VM in the VirtualBox Manager, my keyboard stops responding outside of the VirtualBox Manager window (when I type, no characters appear, and keyboard shortcuts don’t work).

Additionally, outside of that window, my mouse actions don’t work properly. The movement of the cursor is normal, but the scroll wheel appears to behave like “Ctrl + Scroll” (zooming instead of scrolling), a single left click appears to behave like “Shift + Left Click” (selecting multiple items), and double clicking on a desktop icon opens the file/program’s properties rather than the file/program itself.

When I close the VirtualBox Manager (when I press the “X” to close the window), the keyboard and mouse problems persist, so I cannot enter any commands into the computer to attempt to fix the problem. Even after the VirtualBox Manager appears closed, the “VirtualBox Manager” and “VirtualBox Interface” appear in the “Apps” and “Background Processes” sections of the Windows Task Manager, respectively. If I attempt to end either of these tasks within the Task Manager, I receive the error message: “Unable to terminate process. The operation is not valid for this process.”

When I restart my whole computer, the computer automatically enters the Advanced Startup mode (which it doesn’t do under normal conditions). After exiting and continuing to Windows 10, my computer restarts fine and the keyboard and mouse return to normal.

Does anyone know what my issue is and how I can prevent VirtualBox.exe from mangling the functionality of my keyboard and mouse during and after running the program? Please let me know if you need any additional details.

Thank you,
Chris

[Attached: VBoxSVC.log]
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox.exe makes keyboard unresponsive

Post by socratis »

All of those symptoms that you describe are rare, if not unique. I'd say that something is botched with your host, and it's VirtualBox that brings that something in the surface. It's especially worrisome that you don't even launch a VM, it just happens with the VirtualBox Manager.

If no one else has any better ideas, I'd suggest a re-installation of your Win10. Something doesn't sound right. From a lot of points of view...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chrismbryant

Post by chrismbryant »

Thank you for your insights; I'm glad to know that the problem is, in fact, very strange.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Do you have any out-of-the-ordinary software installed for your input? Synaptics (or similar) comes to mind...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.