[WorksForMe] Virtualbox crash on resume (winxp-32 guest w/dosbox inside it, win7-64 host)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mycomments2017

[WorksForMe] Virtualbox crash on resume (winxp-32 guest w/dosbox inside it, win7-64 host)

Post by mycomments2017 »

> On a certain winxp machine I get VirtualBox's Dialog Box: 'Error: breakpoint has been hit' when resuming from saved state, and resume process gets aborted
> The crash happens every time I 'save machine state' (w/dosbox running inside it) and afterwards 'resume from saved state' -- I can consistently reproduce it on my machine
> I asked on irc in irc://irc.freenode.net/vbox and they suggested that I post this to the forums.
> Zipped vbox.log (as suggested on irc) attached.[/list]

More exact steps to reproduce:
> Install clean winxp sp3 32 bit on virtualbox 5.2.6 & guest additions 5.2.7 (build: 120684) on windows 7 sp1 64 bit.
> Download dosbox game from: https://gamesnostalgia.com/en/download/ ... magic/2255, extract into c:\games
> Edit c:\games\MasterOfMagic\DOSBOX\dosbox.conf, change fullscreen=true to fullscreen=false, also change autolock=true to autolock=false.
> Double-Click on c:\games\MasterOfMagic\MasterOfMagic.lnk, wait till game loads, Click 'New Game', get to actual playing game screen (where there is a blinking soilder icon).
> Try to 'save machine state' & 'resume machine state' a few times. From second/third resume cycle the machine starts to crash everytime on resume (on my windows 7 x64 pc).

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (113.94 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
vbox.log.1.zip
(24.77 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by socratis on 12. Feb 2018, 23:40, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox crash on resume (winxp-32 guest w/dosbox inside it, win7-64 host)

Post by socratis »

A key parameter that you forgot to mention is that this happens when you save the VM state with VirtualBox 5.2.0 and restore the VM state with the same version 5.2.0. That's what makes it an issue. It shouldn't be happening within the same (or close) VirtualBox versions...

PS. For future reference, please attach images locally in your response. Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Virtualbox crash on resume (winxp-32 guest w/dosbox inside it, win7-64 host)

Post by socratis »

• Do you have a reproducible step-by-step scenario? "It crashes every time on my PC" is *not* a scenario. We need to reproduce is from scratch.
  • State EXACTLY your host version, guest version, DOSBox verion, VirtualBox version. And no, 5.2 is not a version. Nor is "the latest".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can't reproduce the issue.
Host: OSX 10.11.6
Guest: WinXP SP3
VirtualBox: 5.2.7 (120684)
mycomments2017

Post by mycomments2017 »

I tried the same configuration (dosbox) on windows 7 guest instead of winxp guest and the vm does not crash when 'resuming from saved state' (so far). The game now takes a few more gigabytes on disk compared to winxp -- which is sad -- but still satisfies my use case.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There might be something wrong with your XP or your Win7 setup. Your log doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, so it might be some subtle differences in (for example) the CPU. And I haven't seen anyone else mentioning that, so I'll mark it as [WorksForMe] for the moment, pending any other evidence...