[Solved] Can't create bridged network or connect to the internet in the virtual machine.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
teowes

[Solved] Can't create bridged network or connect to the internet in the virtual machine.

Post by teowes »

Hi.

Can't connect to internet in the virtual machine. All results I've been able to Google mentions creating a bridged network in the preferences but I'm not able to do that, says invalid settings detected. When trying to create a host only network in Global Tools I get "Could not find Host Interface Networking driver! Please reinstall.".

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. The virtual machine I'm trying to configure is a Ubuntu and VirtualBox is on version 5.2.6 with extensions added.

Logs is attached as VBoxSVC.zip

Let me know if I should clarify something.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.zip
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't create bridged network or connect to the internet in the virtual machine.

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
teowes

Re: Can't create bridged network or connect to the internet in the virtual machine.

Post by teowes »

Attaching VBox.log as .zip
Attachments
VBox.zip
(24.59 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Unrelated problem, but you should fix this:
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:01.628811 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
Then I would suggest that you try reinstalling, as the error message says. Be sure you use "Run as administrator" to run the installer, and don't uncheck any of the install options. Install while logged is as the correct user, e.g. not while logged in as "Admin".

Incidentally, and I'm not entirely sure this is what you meant, but trying to get Internet access using a "host only" network connection is doomed to failure. The clue is in the name "host only". I.e. it's a virtual network with no connection to the outside world. NAT is normally the correct option to use. If you can't get that to work then please give full details of error messages.
teowes

Post by teowes »

Thanks for quick and good reply. I will look into enable VT-x in BIOS. I have installed VirtualBox as admin, did a full reinstall just to be sure, right-click and run as administrator just to be 100% sure. Might be that I'm not allowed to active it myself or that there is a reason for it to be inactivated, it's a company computer.

To clarify about the network. The only way I could get the virtual machine to start was to use NAT, but then I didn't have internet within the VM. What I meant was that I couldn't try any other network options as suggested by some posts I found using Google before posting here. But then I will stop investigating that and let it be NAT.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

teowes wrote:I have installed VirtualBox as admin
Your wording is a bit disturbing. Installing as user admin would be quite wrong. It's the wrong user and in any case group policy might have limited actual permissions of user "admin" - that name does not guarantee that you have admin rights. The correct procedure is to log in to your PC as yourself, and use "Run as adminstrator" to explicitly ask for admin rights when you run the installer exe. It's possible that company policy forbids you from having that temporary elevated permissions, but you should get an explicit permission error and then you get your IT people to install the software.
teowes wrote:The only way I could get the virtual machine to start was to use NAT, but then I didn't have internet within the VM.
On a company PC it's quite often the case that NAT is the only way to get internet access using the company network, because "bridged" would present as a new and uninvited PC on the network, and it would not have server access permission - again you'd have to get your IT people involved.

On the other hand, NAT in effect just means "use the host's internet". So, assuming VirtualBox is installed properly, if the host has internet access then so does the guest. If you are saying that this doesn't work then please describe the symptoms and error messages.
teowes

Post by teowes »

The wording is a bit unfortunate. I'm logged in as my own user and have used "Run as adminstrator" on the installer. So right now I'm assuming that everything is correctly installed, did it once more just to be sure that I selected everything.

I don't get any error message when the VM has started. When I open Firefox and enter any address I get "Problem loading the page" and "The connection has timed out". In the bottom tray of VirtualBox windows it says "Adapter 1 (NAT). Cable: Connected"

I'm waiting to get VT-x enabled, I don't have access rights to change BIOS settings. Is it possible that it can be the issue? "Falling back to raw-mode" sounds like for example "safe mode" on Windows.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

teowes wrote:"Falling back to raw-mode" sounds like for example "safe mode" on Windows.
Nothing of the same sort. "Safe mode" in Windows drops down the drivers to their basic functionality (video) and doesn't load anything non-system. "Raw-mode" means that some hardware features of the processor have to be emulated.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
teowes

Post by teowes »

@socratis thanks for the clarification.

@mpack That option is enabled, see attached screenshot.
Attachments
NetworkAdvance.png
NetworkAdvance.png (38.72 KiB) Viewed 17849 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, I misread your post, thinking it said the opposite of what it did say. I've since deleted my post as it didn't contribute anything else of value.

I think what we need now is the output of "ipconfig /all >inconfig.txt" performed on both the host and the guest. I can't remember offhand what the Ubuntu equivalent of ipconfig is (ifconfig?).
rplummer
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by rplummer »

I got ASUS laptop's (Windows 10 Pro) wireless adapter (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260) to work in a Win-7 VM by utilizing the VM's "Paravirtualized Network (virtio-net).

See attachment
Attachments
VM_Win7_Net_Adapter.jpg
VM_Win7_Net_Adapter.jpg (79.74 KiB) Viewed 17749 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid the NIC type selected in the guest has no effect on how the VirtualBox app on the host makes a network connection, or what access permissions it has. The VirtIO-NET adapter type should simply have less overhead since the VM isn't required to emulate the registers of a physical NIC: VirtIO-NET is just a guest API like the guest additions, it isn't a hardware emulation.
Sail

Post by Sail »

Hello,
this problem with bridged Network in the Version 5.2.2 - 5.2.6 is not fixed! So how many stress you have at the developing and here in this forum. Don't close threads where you cannot really verify that this is fixed everywhere.

Your testing Phase is every time not complete! Every time on update upgrade is there a big problem. So at first I should analyse thousand of Threads etc going to ...
The result will be don't Update Oracle VM(never touch a running system at Oracle-software). Its doesn't really being a good idea every time!

Simply upgrade problem and conflict in it from one to new one if it is really working on your development machine! This should you test by making Upgrade from version to version before release. You need clean Host Install machine for testing it. Then you would figure out that there is a problem somewhere. Yes I know release time is stress, but this is every time a problem on your Release-management.

Solution here was:

The problem is a bit complicated.
At first, simple upgrade update has on problem with the bridged network driver.
Install old version of VM Box.
Deinstall bridged network driver from all interfaces that you would like to bridge.
Install new Version of VM Box.
Check in system of windows where you have your adapter seeing if there is a bridge that is not connected(MAC Bridge Miniport). (I didn't see that before there).
I'm not sure where exact is that problem at this point, but maybe it is in the setting of before exists VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter. I was playing with this network bridge and add the old Adapter to it. After adding, it clean the settings. I removed this adapter again from this bridge and set it manual to the adapter settings ip etc in File->host only network manager in oracle vm VirtualBox manager.
After that I set bridged network in the Virtual environment of my guest system.
... and its works fine now with bridged network. (Solution verified on windows 7 here. windows 10 could be similar.)

Good Look!

Greeting
Sail
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sail wrote:this problem with bridged Network in the Version 5.2.2 - 5.2.6 is not fixed!
There is no wide-spread problem in that area. A report or two doens't make it a non-fixed problem. Especially if it can't be reproduced.
Sail wrote:Don't close threads where you cannot really verify that this is fixed everywhere.
What closed thread are you talking about? This thread is open, you posted in it.
Sail wrote:Your testing Phase is every time not complete!
Then help with testing. We are all constantly testing in any event.
Sail wrote:Every time on update upgrade is there a big problem.
Don't upgrade. Simple. Or downgrade if you have a problem.
Sail wrote:Solution here was:
That's not a solution. That's a workaround in your case. Don't generalize. Especially when you don't have a clue what's going on:
Sail wrote:I'm not sure where exact is that problem at this point
I realize that if something doesn't work as expected in your system, frustration can run high. But don't come out with a rant, accusing everybody and their cousin, with no clear idea what's going on, or a clear description of the problem. In your first post nonetheless...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sail

Post by Sail »

Hi socratis,
thank you for y time.

I'm maybe not the best diplomatic. That's something like professional idiot what I'm.
This Problem is in 5.2.x upgrade process to <5.2.x.
This Bridged Network problem exists in two Systems. Windows 7 and windows 10.
Of course its a workaround but it fix this problem and all you hard working works fine after that in my cases. Its not a Solution? Its also a sign for you!

Excuse me, I'm lost many hours on that. That's not be seeing and for me I thinking that I help you at that point.
Of course I could help you more, but realize my tags on my crying and suggestions for your end-developing process. That would help you save time on discussing with professional idiots like I'm after that and you would be relax on many points. :)

I'm not sure, but one of that threads could be this one forums.virtualbox -> f=6&t=85083 (cannot post urls -.-)- That isn't only wifi problem at that point.
If my workaround wont work on windows 10, I would like to tell you this here...

Yes, I'm not upgrade every time there is a new version. Its not possible!

Have a nice day and good look ;)
Greetings
Sail