how do i access more than 16 colors

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
andreas aspenberg

how do i access more than 16 colors

Post by andreas aspenberg »

i installed windows 95 to try to play windows 95 games(i had an old windows 95 cd laying around). i can only set 16 colors. how do i get around that?
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Re: how do i access more than 16 colors

Post by NoNoNo »

You must install graphic software (driver), like SciTech. get more info @tutorial
andreas aspenberg

that one was not compatible with my system. is there a way to select what gpus it emulates. if not then the developers should add that.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

andreas aspenberg wrote:is there a way to select what gpus it emulates. if not then the developers should add that.
There is not that much demand from paying customers => it's not going to happen.

Unless, you provide the source code for it... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

andreas aspenberg wrote:that one was not compatible with my system.
I haven't tried Windows 95 in a long time and can't find my installation media either but under Windows 98 I have had more luck with the bearwindows driver (detailed in the tutorial). I just checked and my Windows 98 VM is using the version dated 140214.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
andreas aspenberg

fallen haven requires windows 95 and will only work there.
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Post by NoNoNo »

You can try both options in tutorial: SciTech or bearwindows' VBE drivers. (one by one!)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

andreas aspenberg wrote:is there a way to select what gpus it emulates.
VirtualBox doesn't provide any GPU or CPU emulations. It provides APIs which certain OS's can use. The only supported graphics API relevant to Win95 is VESA, a standard for business graphics cards. So if you want better graphics you need to install a VESA compatible graphics driver in the guest, which is why the BearWindows and SciTech drivers are recommended by the Win9x tutorials.

Without that driver the system will fall back on VGA or SVGA hardware emulation, which was 640x480x4bpp or 800x600x4bpp (i.e. 16 color modes).
andreas aspenberg

as it is it reverts to EGA(16 colors). fallen haven does not require 16 or 32 bit colors, only the choice above 16 colors.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't see how my previous post could have been much clearer. I did not mention 16 bit colors, and the default graphics emulation provided by VirtualBox is SVGA (4bpp with VESA API), not EGA. EGA was a DOS standard from a considerable number of years before Win95.
andreas aspenberg

then there is still hope because at the moment i do not have svga. svga is 256 colors which is what fallen haven requires. currently however i am restricted to just 16 colors.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

SVGA supports a number of different configurable colour depths, the default is 16 color for backwards compatibility with VGA. However yes, the VirtualBox SVGA emulation does supports 8bpp (256 colors), which you can access once you install a VESA driver such as BearWindows.
andreas aspenberg

no, svga have never had just 16 colors. that is standard vga and ega only. i know because i played games back when it was known mcga(some games however was not built to take advantage of it and spported it just for compatibility.). how do i install bearwindows?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Do you have a refererence for that assertion? Other than "I know because I played games" ?

SVGA is a superset of VGA. By definition it supports everything VGA does. But, having said so three times already I think I'm done here.
andreas aspenberg

i did ask a question did i not?