Upgrade caused an existing Win7 VM to fail

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
emcdell

Upgrade caused an existing Win7 VM to fail

Post by emcdell »

This morning, I tried to start VBox after the upgrade to Version 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.2) on Sunday and ran into major issue.

Windows 7 host, Lenovo WS-530 laptop, 2 i7 CPU (8 core) with 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

There were two problems:
1) The "VirtualBox 5.2.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack" failed to install.
It turns out it was being blocked by McAfee for the 1st time ever. Very odd. This has not ever occurred over the years that I have upgraded to the newer VBox versions and then downloaded / installed the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
I had to uninstall McAfee, install "VirtualBox 5.2.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack", then reinstall McAfee before I could start any guest VM with USB support.

That is my real problem.
On Sunday, I shutdown all the guests, upgraded VBox and then shutdown the host.
This morning, after I got the VirtualBox 5.2.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack installed, the Windows 7 32bit guest would not start
The error is:
Failed to open virtual machine located in D:/Machines/VBOX-P480/VBOX-P480.vbox.

A differencing image of snapshot {96434832-26d1-4aff-9207-9daf403534dd} could not be found. Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {f1277f6d-ba4d-49f6-a131-2c8e558757ee}.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SnapshotMachine
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Callee: IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}
I confirmed that the file system is unchanged and all the files that were there on Sunday are still exactly in the same places.
Their filesystem modification dates are all 1/21/2018 (Sunday)

I made the mistake of taking a snapshot on this machine about a year ago. But, only 1 and never more.

I cannot find a file {96434832-26d1-4aff-9207-9daf403534dd}.vdi.
There is a file Machines/VBOX-P480/Snapshots/{96434832-26d1-4aff-9207-9daf403534dd}.vdi

The VBox.log and the VBoxHardening.log are too big to upload.

I removed the guest from the VBox Manager, and tried to "Add" it and it will not add.
I get the same error.

What now?
The guest has been running for years and this is the first time this has happened.

Was this related to the upgrade (I suspect it was)
How do I fix it?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Upgrade caused an existing Win7 VM to fail

Post by socratis »

Don't take it personally, but I really don't like it when people say "It's been like that for years" when they refer to software. If you're talking about your house, maybe, but even on that case, you've may have made modifications. But software? No chance. Not unless you've unplugged every network cable from it and even that, it's a stretch...

At this point we don't need your VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log, although keep in mind that if you ZIP them the size decreases. What we *need* at the moment is to right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
emcdell

Post by emcdell »

socratis wrote:Don't take it personally, but I really don't like it when people say "It's been like that for years" when they refer to software. If you're talking about your house, maybe, but even on that case, you've may have made modifications. But software? No chance. Not unless you've unplugged every network cable from it and even that, it's a stretch...

At this point we don't need your VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log, although keep in mind that if you ZIP them the size decreases. What we *need* at the moment is to right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
So...
Don't take it personally, but was the point of your reply just to be a dick?

If you have a suggested remedy for this issue, I'd love to hear.
But it seems you do not.
Last edited by mpack on 24. Jan 2018, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restore message to earlier state.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Very diplomatic. I am sure everyone will be falling over each other to help such a nice guy. We all enjoy being abused.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

emcdell wrote: If you have a suggested remedy for this issue, I'd love to hear.
But it seems you do not.
If you are not willing to provide the diagnostic data requested (zipped .vbox file) then this topic is pointless and I'll lock it. Is that the case?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@emcdell
Had you replied to any other user like that, you would be getting a warning, plus a 1-week cooling period ban. Or a permanent one for abusive language/attitude. But, I don't want to take that action, and be the dick that you think I am. Yet. I'm going to give you another chance. Don't waste it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
emcdell

Post by emcdell »

If you are not willing to provide the diagnostic data requested (zipped .vbox file) then this topic is pointless and I'll lock it. Is that the case?
I believe this was the 1st request for more information.
Find attached a zipped copy of the VM's .vbox file

Please let me know if there are more details that would help.

Thank you.
Attachments
VBOX-P480.zip
(3.33 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

emcdell wrote: I believe this was the 1st request for more information.
You mean, other than the second paragraph of the post you attacked for being pointless? Which you then quoted in your own post? And you still fail to notice after it is pointed out. :roll: