Remote Desktop Server Disabled with Centos6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Nicebunny

Remote Desktop Server Disabled with Centos6

Post by Nicebunny »

Hi,
I just managed to load Centos6 onto my VM on a Windows 10 host, and it worked fine once this morning. When I tried to start it again I got messages on the screen like"No volume groups found" and "/dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced" and "extended attribute block 524811 has a reference count of 39 should be 35". I have no idea what any of this means. When I looked at some features of my system it showed the Remote Desktop Server as disabled, as was the Video Capture. Do you think this happened because I used the "Power off" option to turn off the machine this morning instead of "save the machine state"? What should I do now? Thanks.

Nicebunny
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Remote Desktop Server Disabled with Centos6

Post by socratis »

A couple of things:
  • The error that you got was from within your guest. You should treat it like a guest problem and search accordingly. I would suggest the CentOS forums. Just because a program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest. Oh, and check your host's hard drive for issues...
  • The Remote Desktop Server is a feature that is enabled on the host, not on the guest. So the two are unrelated. And no, the Remote Desktop Server, as well as the Video Capture are off by default.
  • I always shut down my guests from within the guest, I rarely use the SaveState option. That is the safest and more sane way of turning off a computer, even in Real-Life™.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nicebunny

Re: Remote Desktop Server Disabled with Centos6

Post by Nicebunny »

Thank you Socrates! I will try the Centos forum. Have a great day.

Nicebunny